Mark 1A Tiger 2545 just went up on BaT

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The designation LRXFE or HROFE etc. Should not be part of the VIN
I suppose that depends upon the state you live in... All of the characters are on the same line for "chassis" number. They also designate identifiers specific to the car. Such as drive (steering) side, market destination and engine type.

Warren

Gold forum user
I'm guessing that cops like insurance companies do a lot of the things the same way. A lot of the time we would identify the car for the last four digits of the VIN number. If I was to use RXFE there would certainly be some confusion. To quote the coppers and the inspection guys , If a car was stolen and they go looking for RXFE. you don't want them finding your car and holding on to it till they feel like giving it back. This has been an issue on other cars on bring a trailer.,
especially if those cars end up going to Canada.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm guessing that cops like insurance companies do a lot of the things the same way. A lot of the time we would identify the car for the last four digits of the VIN number. If I was to use RXFE there would certainly be some confusion. To quote the coppers and the inspection guys , If a car was stolen and they go looking for RXFE. you don't want them finding your car and holding on to it till they feel like giving it back. This has been an issue on other cars on bring a trailer.,
especially if those cars end up going to Canada.
Here in Ohio the VIN ( vehicle identification number ) on the title carries the prefix letter as well as the letters after the numbers. The 69 Alpine GT has a VIN number plate on the radiator support as well as one riveted on the left hand side of the top of the dash at the base of the windshield. The crash pad has an opening to allow seeing the VIN plate. Both tags carry the VIN of B399000904 GT LRX and another example is our RHD car which has OD HRO lettering after the VIN . The tags on 2 of the Harringtons also have SB ( sealed beams ) stamped on the tags to the right of the VIN. I received my insurance cards from Hagerty last week and they show the same mixture of numbers and letters. Keep in mind that 3 out of the six cars insured by Hagerty carry plates and Ohio registration that are good for life which means they're in the system but I'll never receive anything from the state including asking for insurance verification. The other three are good for only 50 years with the same conditions.. We don't have vehicle inspections of any kind so unless you're 9 MPH over the speed limit, driving under the influence, or suspected of hauling illegal drugs the state troopers or local police don't bother to stop you for a vehicle check. We don't have personal property tax so that never comes into play as it does in some states if you want to register your cars. The wife has bought a few cars in California as well as other states and getting an Ohio title is a very simple process.

Warren

Gold forum user
The red or black plastic tag , SUN 65 etc. was a add on to show the year built. Later in NHTSA I believe that they spilt the model year . That's why some cars early 76 smog exempt as I understand it.
Formerly it was the year first sold. No guess as to how some got or lost the tag other than port of entry or that they didn't sell in the year built.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The red or black plastic tag , SUN 65 etc. was a add on to show the year built. Later in NHTSA I believe that they spilt the model year . That's why some cars early 76 smog exempt as I understand it.
Formerly it was the year first sold. No guess as to how some got or lost the tag other than port of entry or that they didn't sell in the year built.
It was required by the state of California from 1961, why I do not know....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I know of an Imp that was bought in California and brought to Ohio and it had what looked like a sticky tag made using a label maker. We've bought several Alpines in California and none had the extra tags and they had no extra letters or numbers added to the VIN on the titles. The same for cars we've bought in several states on the east coast.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My ex-cali series II alpine had a metal tag riveted on SAS263 .. Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 1963 ( anf my car is a late sii with a 63 build date)

Seen several cars on ebay over the years with tage SAS261 SAS262 and SAS363 and SAS364 .. Always figured was some CA requirement for some unknown reason