Mecum Auction

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This car sold for 100k + fees.
Seems like a really nice car.. Few details incorrect for such a well restored stock style car that on a white car stand out more like the grill recess and and A pillar gutters not being blacked out, not contrasting piping and incorrect shifter....but easily sorted.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's always nice to see a Tiger like this but that AMC Gremlin drag car next to it in the video is pretty intriguing too.

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seems like a really nice car.. Few details incorrect for such a well restored stock style car that on a white car stand out more like the grill recess and and A pillar gutters not being blacked out, not contrasting piping and incorrect shifter....but easily sorted.
The interior looks to be the black pebble grain (pig skin) material. I've never seen a car with that interior and contrasting piping.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The interior looks to be the black pebble grain (pig skin) material. I've never seen a car with that interior and contrasting piping.
Being the car is an early vin (711) round panel MKI and a code 19 car i would expect the trim combination to have been either:

Scarlet upholstry & Embassy Black seat piping. Scarlet carpets.

Black upholstry & Moonstone seat piping. Black carpets.

Once they have the square corner cars the piping would match the vynil.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Being the car is an early vin (711) round panel MKI and a code 19 car i would expect the trim combination to have been either:

Scarlet upholstry & Embassy Black seat piping. Scarlet carpets.

Black upholstry & Moonstone seat piping. Black carpets.

Once they have the square corner cars the piping would match the vynil.
No one has mentioned that the directional lenses are the wrong color.

Warren

Gold forum user
Anyone paying that kinda money can de personalize the car . How many times did we see the GT Tiger of Bill A. get sold on and made more stock. I remember saying Ooooh Dale I'd like those take off bits ;)

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There are a couple of other items on the car that are off. The wheels are aftermarket. And the rear turn signal lenses appear to be amber. Tigers imported to the US only had red rear turn signal lenses. (The listing indicated that the car had black California license plates, which were no longer used after 1967.) And some of the items listed were also not original, such as electronic ignition, stainless steel exhaust, and the Delta mufflers. The New LAT6 bolt on Traction Masters probably lack the correct cast iron mounting plates of the original LATs. The new Traction Master bars kits are sold with a steel mounting plate.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Anyone paying that kinda money can de personalize the car . How many times did we see the GT Tiger of Bill A. get sold on and made more stock. I remember saying Ooooh Dale I'd like those take off bits ;)
Bill's Tiger was definitely not stock but was a great looking car that sold for decent money. I took this photo as well as a few photos of his other non stock cars when I was picking up a Sunbeam I bought from him.

100_0607.JPG

Warren

Gold forum user
Maybe the black plates were in the boot. :) Black plates were letters first then numbers. In 70 California went to numbers first then letters in blue with yellow. Nowadays it's a different thing to say original black plate because it can mean year of manufacturer or Y.O.M . You can track California tagged cars thru the DMV INF 70 request, unless the car fell out of the computer system.
Sometimes you can also trace cars in the email list threads or owner's as many identified themselves with a VIN number in their postings..

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Speaking of correct parts. When SUNI was in Colorado City I hauled an old stock Tiger exhaust system from Ohio and handed the system to Dale and he took it to Norm Miller. Each side was a one piece unit from engine to tail pipe tips. Anyone else ever seen this set up?

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When the STOA guys held a Stock Class Judging seminar at Bill Martin’s shop back in 2018, they had a few examples on hand.

1C4B5693-CB74-435A-9C8B-B32C6734DAE5.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There are a couple of other items on the car that are off. The wheels are aftermarket. And the rear turn signal lenses appear to be amber. Tigers imported to the US only had red rear turn signal lenses. (The listing indicated that the car had black California license plates, which were no longer used after 1967.) And some of the items listed were also not original, such as electronic ignition, stainless steel exhaust, and the Delta mufflers. The New LAT6 bolt on Traction Masters probably lack the correct cast iron mounting plates of the original LATs. The new Traction Master bars kits are sold with a steel mounting plate.
Yup.. There are a lot of detail bits...most are simple bolt on/off fixes.. Even the addition of the black paint in the grill area etc isnt to hard post purchase...
But the trim is a bit harder... Thats a redo...
That said imho the white piping doesnt look great on the seats.... But a pitty to have a moonstaone car and not have the scarlett trim... So much nicer and brighter inside... The lighter colours you see the details of the pleats and the foot wells are so much brighter..

If we are doing the list.. The hardtop headlining is quite rippled too...

Wonder what the car would have brought on BaT with the peanut gallery weighing in...

That said... Its appears a very nice car .. And i dont mind the orange lenses ( used to them down here) and electronic igntion...minites etc are all good...but at 100k some of the simple things and Some of the detail things that are more forgotten rather than personalisation are a little underwhelming

Warren

Gold forum user
I saw a few sets in Dale A. heap outdoors. Whenever I ask him what day is trash day I get the same wry smile. Alas I'm too far away for dumpster diving at Dale's. But he did say take that pile over there when I dropped off a 260 block.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yup.. There are a lot of detail bits...most are simple bolt on/off fixes.. Even the addition of the black paint in the grill area etc isnt to hard post purchase...
But the trim is a bit harder... Thats a redo...
That said imho the white piping doesnt look great on the seats.... But a pitty to have a moonstaone car and not have the scarlett trim... So much nicer and brighter inside... The lighter colours you see the details of the pleats and the foot wells are so much brighter..

If we are doing the list.. The hardtop headlining is quite rippled too...

Wonder what the car would have brought on BaT with the peanut gallery weighing in...

That said... Its appears a very nice car .. And i dont mind the orange lenses ( used to them down here) and electronic igntion...minites etc are all good...but at 100k some of the simple things and Some of the detail things that are more forgotten rather than personalisation are a little underwhelming
My wife has the same idea about white piping on red seats. Building a car boils down to personal preference regardless of cost.

110_0669.JPG

Franchi

Silver forum user
I believe the new (Bill Martin) mufflers shown are Bap/Geon or Beck Arnley. I bought a set (still have them) in the 70s from Vern Garner in Oakland Ca. They are one piece, with chrome tips, and painted silver. They have part number labels, like the ones shown (taped around the pipe). Rootes/Chrysler part number labels are blue and white, about 1 1/2" square.

David

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Hi David. I also might ask if the tail light lenses should be outside screws? The ones in the picture shows inside screws.

Rick

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi David. I also might ask if the tail light lenses should be outside screws? The ones in the picture shows inside screws.

Rick
You are right, Rick. They should be outside screws. I have always wondered if the later UK Tigers, which did have the amber rear turn signals, used outside screws or if Sunbeam continued to use inside screw housings after switching to outside screw housings for North America. And there are the other countries to which Sunbeam exported the later Tigers.