Mecum Auction

CLYDE MCLAUGHLIN

New forum user
CAT Member
Speaking of correct parts. When SUNI was in Colorado City I hauled an old stock Tiger exhaust system from Ohio and handed the system to Dale and he took it to Norm Miller. Each side was a one piece unit from engine to tail pipe tips. Anyone else ever seen this set up?
Yes, one piece all the way back, remember from my 1st MK1 when I bought it in 1971, first repair was to replace the down pipe on the right side, and the MKIA I have now had one piece on it when I bought it in 2005, I have sense had to replace the mufflers because the baffles were rusted and rattled, a turbo style muffler from summit racing that was same dimensions except for pipe size, used a pipe bushing to reduce the 2" inlet/outlets down to what fit.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When our original Tiger MK1A was brand new , I attacked the exhaust and went for bigger pipes with more noise. The full length one-piece OEM's stood in the garage corner for decades.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You are right, Rick. They should be outside screws. I have always wondered if the later UK Tigers, which did have the amber rear turn signals, used outside screws or if Sunbeam continued to use inside screw housings after switching to outside screw housings for North America. And there are the other countries to which Sunbeam exported the later Tigers.
David, the auciton car was vin 711 .. Early MKI.. That should have inside screw tail lights, the external screw lens came late in production

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
David, the auciton car was vin 711 .. Early MKI.. That should have inside screw tail lights, the external screw lens came late in production
Michael,

Thanks for catching my error. As you said, the earlier Tigers came with inside screws. But the car (imported to the US) should not have had amber rear turn signals. Do you know if the Mk IA UK Tigers (and cars exported to countries outside North America) still had inside screws with the amber rear turn signals? I could not find outside screw amber rear turn signal lenses listed in the Alpine parts manual, but have to admit the parts manual was pretty confusing.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael,

Thanks for catching my error. As you said, the earlier Tigers came with inside screws. But the car (imported to the US) should not have had amber rear turn signals. Do you know if the Mk IA UK Tigers (and cars exported to countries outside North America) still had inside screws with the amber rear turn signals? I could not find outside screw amber rear turn signal lenses listed in the Alpine parts manual, but have to admit the parts manual was pretty confusing.
Well tigers arent a good reference point for data in AU...never being an official model...but...
The SV Alpines, late model minx and super minx, gazelle etc all had the home market amber lens indicators and iirc the 66-67 cars that come to mind are all inside screw.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI, The green car is inside screw amber lense and the blue car is outside screw amber lense. I still have several sets of both lenses. I also have an NOS set of Wipac reverse lights with amber lense. My parts manual shows them to be a set for use in France.
107_0997.JPG
100_0554.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael,

Another thing occured... Rootes changed the base of the tail lights.. Changed the bulb mountings from the ones that you pull the whole removable socket from the rear to ones that were fixed in place and accessed from the front.. Hence the external screws.
There must be a VIN cross over for that.. Must be in the SV and MKIa cars.

I still dont recall seeing the Australian rootes cars with them.. Ill have to ask a friend with a large stash of hillmans singers etc... They used the same lamp.units... But ive got the upper ambers off parts cars that would have been '67 mfg.. And they were inside screws.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another thing occured... Rootes changed the base of the tail lights.. Changed the bulb mountings from the ones that you pull the whole removable socket from the rear to ones that were fixed in place and accessed from the front.. Hence the external screws.
There must be a VIN cross over for that.. Must be in the SV and MKIa cars.

I still dont recall seeing the Australian rootes cars with them.. Ill have to ask a friend with a large stash of hillmans singers etc... They used the same lamp.units... But ive got the upper ambers off parts cars that would have been '67 mfg.. And they were inside screws.
The parts manual shows what must be the inside screw unit was used up to B39500020. The same manual shows only one socket unit which was part number 54573140. The two different bulb holders makes you wonder if Chrysler was buying the housings from Lucas and buying whatever socket was available with a lower cost and they adapted as needed.

Last edited: