New Edition of CAT Shop Notes

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
C.A.T. Parts Department has announced that our Shop Notes have been updated and will soon be available for sale to C.A.T. members for $75. This is the 6th edition of the ever popular collection of articles about working on your cherished Tiger.

The 6th edition is a major upgrade from the previous edition. The 5th edition was first published in 2000, with many reprints since then. So what is the difference? Well, there are over 20 years of additional Tech Tips published in Tiger Tales included in the updated Shop Notes. (A few articles which are no longer accurate or applicable have been deleted.)

Also, many of the articles originally in the 5th edition have been given a fresh look. We were fortunate to be able to find many (but not all) photographs that were used originally in the 5th Edition. While these were originally published in earlier editions using the halftone method, for the 6th Edition we digitally scanned the original photos, resulting in a much sharper, cleaner image in the new Shop Notes. Also, the text and numbers on some of the original sketches were replaced with digitized text and numbers, making them much easier to read.

As you can imagine, the number of pages added with all those additional Tech Tips has increased the total number of pages in the new edition of Shop Notes. The 5th Edition had a total of 490 pages. This new edition now has 722! Back in 2000, the Shop Notes was published in black and white. Many of the Tech Tips published in Tiger Tales since then were in color. Those articles appear in color in the 6th Edition – a total of 166 pages in color!

What has not changed is the large, easy-to-read text, with lots of helpful photos and sketches to help make the information understandable. There is lots of margin space for writing in your own notes. And the Shop Notes pages continue to come with holes to fit into your three-ring binder. This allows you to easily remove a page, make a copy for personal use, and carry the copy out to your garage to work on your pampered baby. That way there is no worry about getting greasy fingerprints on your Shop Notes.

If you are interested in obtaining one of the limited number of the Shop Notes 6th Edition, please contact Parts Manager Bill Graf. His contact information is on page 2 of Tiger Tales or go to the C.A.T. Parts website – www.catmbr.org/parts.html.

1622395893636.png

Halftone Photo from Shop Notes 5th Edition / Digitized Photo from Shop Notes 6th Edition

1622395982485.png
Diagram from Shop Notes 5th Edition / Diagram from Shop Notes 6th Edition

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They look great! Any chance some will be for sale at SUNI in the swap meet room?

Warren

Gold forum user
Not sure if I will be there but I'd put some time in on behalf of CAT parts, if I can get there. Waiting for my buddies to commit on a fly and drive.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A liftgate and a pallet jack gets a loaded pallet to my front gate.

The trick I've learned is to unload quickly so the driver can take the empty pallets with him when he leaves.

The author came by this morning to check out his work.

This new Shop Notes is a very impressive book.

Bob J.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would like to thank Bob for volunteering to take on the job of mailing out the Shop Notes to the domestic buyers. I believe Parts Manager Bill Graf will be sending out the Shop Notes to the buyers outside the US. Bob will pick up the invoices from Bill and start mailing out the Shop Notes on Monday, July 17, 2021.

Bob and I opened up a packet to see how the printer did and the Shop Notes look very, very good. I had printed on my printer a few pages and taken them along with my 5th Edition of the Shop Notes to a couple of C.A.T. events to show folks in attendance some of the differences. However, my printer did not do the Shop Notes justice. The commercial print press puts my puny printer to shame, especially on the photographs (both the color and B&W).

I apologize that it has taken us this long to get the Shop Notes printed up. Unfortunately, the press originally planned to use was located in Oregon and during our run, they had to shut down. This happened during that hellacious heat wave hitting that part of North America and the press was just not able to handle the temperature (or maybe it was the expansion of parts due to the heat). The print shop finally pulled the job and moved it to another one of their sister shops, where it was finished.

Below is a photo taken of some of the Shop Notes shrink wrapped and one copy unwrapped. We wanted to make sure that everything was fine, and it was.

20210717_095610A.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They look awesome... Well done guys.
Should make a hard cover binder with the CAT logo to keep them in .. 😀

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I look forward to getting mine. It looks great. Thanks to all who worked on it.

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Wow, that’s heavy weight, concentrated, pure Tiger knowledge distilled by our experienced gear head brain trust!
Can’t wait to dig in!!

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Please do be careful when you lift up the Shop Notes. Between the added pages and the heavier thickness of the pages, what is being shipped out weighs around 4.3 lbs. We don't want anyone to get a hernia lifting one of these tomes.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Important Shop Notes Update!

My trip to the Post Office was successful and about 40 copies have been mailed.

They all went priority flat rate so tracking is included.

If there are any issues send me a PM.

IMG_3189.jpg

BillRo

Gold forum user
Priority Mail came through. David did a fantastic job on the new edition - a huge improvement and much needed update. I saved the heavy card chapter dividers and the binders from my old edition.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great job to all involved in the 6th edition of the shop notes. As with Bill Rogers, I used the old binder and heavy card chapter dividers for the new edition. But, there is a new section that my 4th edition did not have- Section H, rear suspension. Here's what I did (is this the first tech tip for the new edition LOL). The new edition came with a new cover page. My old cover page had the 3 holes torn from usage. I imagine most are like that. I took that old cover page, flipped it over, hole punched it, and marked it 'Rear Suspension- H'. Easy peasy. Kirk

IMG_5226.JPG

IMG_5228.JPG

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member

TAH_Tiger

Any more available?

The person who can answer that question is C.A.T. Parts Manager Bill Graff. His email address is listed on page 2 of the Tiger Tales. I had heard they were selling pretty quickly, but have not heard if they sold out. - David