Parts Resourcing

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is a quiet confab going on at MOSS management about adding Sunbeam to their offerings. Feel free to encourage them. Just sayin'

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is a quiet confab going on at MOSS management about adding Sunbeam to their offerings. Feel free to encourage them. Just sayin'

I thought MOSS took over Victoria British? Don't know what ever happened to all the Sunbeam parts VB had in stock.

Rick

Warren

Gold forum user
Wow the smug sales representative voice still rings in my ears how _____,____, not worth our time statement.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I kind of doubt that there is ANY interest at Moss for adding Sunbeam parts to their listings... I have been agitating along these lines ever since Moss bought the stock from Vic. British... They will not stock, nor sell any of it... I have told them I would buy all of the w/s and all of the rest of stocks (excepting interior stuff which was total crap) for years... They have to pay inventory tax on all of this. You'd think that they would have flogged it off on Curt Meinel or Sunbeam Specialties... Which I suggested multiple times to my dedicated wholesale salesman... I have been a Moss distributor for better than 30 years... If I can't get them to sell it, It isn't going to be available. I offered to buy every w/s they has in stock just last week... They are not interested. I have to think that all of this stock is going to end up in a dumpster and written off as a method to reduce tax exposure...

My wholesale experience at Moss has been a roller coaster... initially their catalogs were looked at by the trade as "wish books", then they decided to source all of their parts from China. I was asked to evaluate things like brake shoes and such... I told them that they were absolutely crazy to buy these parts as they were poorly made and represented such a huge liability that nothing could make this a good decision. Thankfully, they took my recommendations seriously....

But this is what you get when countries decide to source offshore for maximum profit... We don't make anything in the USA, except hamburgers anymore....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I kind of doubt that there is ANY interest at Moss for adding Sunbeam parts to their listings... I have been agitating along these lines ever since Moss bought the stock from Vic. British... They will not stock, nor sell any of it... I have told them I would buy all of the w/s and all of the rest of stocks (excepting interior stuff which was total crap) for years... They have to pay inventory tax on all of this. You'd think that they would have flogged it off on Curt Meinel or Sunbeam Specialties... Which I suggested multiple times to my dedicated wholesale salesman... I have been a Moss distributor for better than 30 years... If I can't get them to sell it, It isn't going to be available. I offered to buy every w/s they has in stock just last week... They are not interested. I have to think that all of this stock is going to end up in a dumpster and written off as a method to reduce tax exposure...

My wholesale experience at Moss has been a roller coaster... initially their catalogs were looked at by the trade as "wish books", then they decided to source all of their parts from China. I was asked to evaluate things like brake shoes and such... I told them that they were absolutely crazy to buy these parts as they were poorly made and represented such a huge liability that nothing could make this a good decision. Thankfully, they took my recommendations seriously....

But this is what you get when countries decide to source offshore for maximum profit... We don't make anything in the USA, except hamburgers anymore....
The odds are that every time you change the oil in your Tiger or other Brit car you'll install a filter made outside the U.S. Wix filters are made in Bangladesh and many other brands are made in S. Korea. We're part of a nation wide buying group and we buy containers of our private label auto filters from Korea. Shell uses a base oil made from compressed natural gas instead of using a base refined from crude and have been doing this since 2010 and it's coming from Qatar so every time you add oil from Shell as the Sunbeam manual says you're using a product based on product from the middle east. The list of what is made in China including zip ties is too large to even talk about. Profit is not a dirty word. I like it when dividend money goes into my account.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The odds are that every time you change the oil in your Tiger or other Brit car you'll install a filter made outside the U.S. Wix filters are made in Bangladesh and many other brands are made in S. Korea. We're part of a nation wide buying group and we buy containers of our private label auto filters from Korea. Shell uses a base oil made from compressed natural gas instead of using a base refined from crude and have been doing this since 2010 and it's coming from Qatar so every time you add oil from Shell as the Sunbeam manual says you're using a product based on product from the middle east. The list of what is made in China including zip ties is too large to even talk about. Profit is not a dirty word. I like it when dividend money goes into my account.
Similar case can be made for Bap Geon...when parts for our Tigers started to get scarce in the mid 70's I could still find some things at Bap Geon. Except Bap Geon never made any of the parts- they were just re-boxers. You never knew who or where they came from!

Warren

Gold forum user
2 dumpsters... one in Goleta and the other in Virginia...
Pretty big competition for dumpster bin goodies.

Wow was this general Tiger discussion or World economic discussion.
It's funny the number of over educated guys I met in the Honda CT 90 group, including a couple JPL types. The same holds true for Tiger guys. So can we get back to Tiger discussion or what we can do about the OP's original request to contact Moss.

Those words ______,______
were not made by a decision maker. Getting to that person or persons at Moss is all that will help. To do that you have to get past the linear thinking sales clerk or secretary. Not being in Santa Barbara county it's out of my foot in the door solicitor style.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pretty big competition for dumpster bin goodies.

Wow was this general Tiger discussion or World economic discussion.
It's funny the number of over educated guys I met in the Honda CT 90 group, including a couple JPL types. The same holds true for Tiger guys. So can we get back to Tiger discussion or what we can do about the OP's original request to contact Moss.

Those words ______,______
were not made by a decision maker. Getting to that person or persons at Moss is all that will help. To do that you have to get past the linear thinking sales clerk or secretary. Not being in Santa Barbara county it's out of my foot in the door solicitor style.
If you ever drive down the road in your Beam and get passed by a truck you may find a chip in the windshield. Has anyone found another source for windshields? You wonder how many windshields VB had in stock. LMC has also stopped carrying a lot of stock for older trucks.

Last edited:

Jere T

Bronze forum user
I met Ed "Blake" Burgy from Moss at one of the Peterson Museum British Car Sunday Moring cruise-ins. He told me they have been delaying the rollout of Sunbeam inventory but did not define why they are waiting. This conversation took place fall 2021ish?

It was mentioned in the string that a request blitz to Moss may be helpful, so Ed "Blake" Burgy's email is: burgye@mossmotors.com.

Go get 'em!

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you ever drive down the road in your Beam and get passed by a truck you may find a chip in the windshield. Has anyone found a source for windshields? You wonder how many windshields VB had in stock. LMC has also stopped carrying a lot of stock for older trucks.
In another thread I think I remember Sean saying MOSS had 20-30 Sunbeam windshields in stock. He offered to buy them all but was turned down.
Rick

Warren

Gold forum user
Allegedly Pilkington will deliver to real glass or body shops. If someone is local in Torrance my buddy is the head guy at Ron's Body shop. Be nice to test the concept.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Allegedly Pilkington will deliver to real glass or body shops. If someone is local in Torrance my buddy is the head guy at Ron's Body shop. Be nice to test the concept.
Our shop's glass suppliers (installers) use them, but were unable to get them to budge on Sunbeam stock.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
If you ever drive down the road in your Beam and get passed by a truck you may find a chip in the windshield. Has anyone found a source for windshields? You wonder how many windshields VB had in stock. LMC has also stopped carrying a lot of stock for older trucks.
this is exactly why I need a w/s.... Moss says that they have at somewhere between 20-30 w/s that they got when they bought the VB stock... that's what this is all about.... I need one for my car, and ideally, I'd like 3-5 for future restorations of client cars..... the thing that made the VB stock attractive was that it was 20% of the Pilkington price....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
this is exactly why I need a w/s.... Moss says that they have at somewhere between 20-30 w/s that they got when they bought the VB stock... that's what this is all about.... I need one for my car, and ideally, I'd like 3-5 for future restorations of client cars..... the thing that made the VB stock attractive was that it was 20% of the Pilkington price....
A few years back when VB had their winter sales I bought two windshields for the later series Alpines / Tigers. One was installed in my series 4 frame when Doug was doing the body restoration and stored one for a spare. The shop that installed it said the new one appeared to be slightly thinner than the original factory windshield that was installed by Rootes when they built the car. The slight difference didn't present a problem. I seem to remember that they sold them for maybe $126.00 or something close to that. The same shop buys most of their auto glass thru Pilkington and is delivered from the warehouse on the south side of Columbus. About a year ago I asked them to get me another to have as a spare for my LeMans. Pilkington told them they dropped windshields for Sunbeams mainly due to the low demand for them. Covid may have had something to do with the windshields not being available from the U.K. or it could be because their headquarters is now in Japan.

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member

I can go to our Safelite AutoGlass store here and have them order one from Pilkington. Do you have a Pilkington part # to make it easy for them? Thanks.

Rick