Parts Resourcing

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You can order direct from Pilkington in the uk, but shipping is outragous. I got this quote in 2020.
I called the US Pilkington office and he gave me the name of a certified installer in the Orlando area where I live.
They quoted $415 +$50 shipping +$175 installation.
I went the polishing route, but if you want the oem manufacturer, you can still get them I think.

Attachments

• Pilkington quote.pdf
    124.4 KB · Views: 129

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I can go to our Safelite AutoGlass store here and have them order one from Pilkington. Do you have a Pilkington part # to make it easy for them? Thanks.

Rick
according to "65beam" Pilkington has discontinued the w/s as there was little, to no, demand... Idid a quick on line search for possible vendors for any brand w/s for a series 3-5 Alpine or Tiger and couldn't find a single one. That's why I've been trying to get them out of Moss for the last 3 years... I couldn't even confirm that they actually had any until about a month ago. Now I know they have them. It's just a matter of getting routed to the right person.

Like I related earlier, I've been a distributor for Moss for 30 plus years. when they get stumped by something, or a customer asked a question about Austin Healeys, they usually call me...

I just have to get through to the right person... As I have a car with no w/s, this is a situation I want to resolve!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
You can order direct from Pilkington in the uk, but shipping is outragous. I got this quote in 2020.
I called the US Pilkington office and he gave me the name of a certified installer in the Orlando area where I live.
I went the polishing route, but if you want the oem manufacturer, you can still get them I think.
looking at the price quote it was 436 GBP (pounds) for clear glass. that's about $550 assuming they even have them anymore. I have no idea what the shipping would be from the UK, But I would hope that they encase it in spray foam!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
according to "65beam" Pilkington has discontinued the w/s as there was little, to no, demand... Idid a quick on line search for possible vendors for any brand w/s for a series 3-5 Alpine or Tiger and couldn't find a single one. That's why I've been trying to get them out of Moss for the last 3 years... I couldn't even confirm that they actually had any until about a month ago. Now I know they have them. It's just a matter of getting routed to the right person.

Like I related earlier, I've been a distributor for Moss for 30 plus years. when they get stumped by something, or a customer asked a question about Austin Healeys, they usually call me...

I just have to get through to the right person... As I have a car with no w/s, this is a situation I want to resolveThe last time I was
looking at the price quote it was 436 GBP (pounds) for clear glass. that's about $550 assuming they even have them anymore. I have no idea what the shipping would be from the UK, But I would hope that they encase it in spray foam!
Dead inventory doesn't pay the bills for a business. Make a trip to the grocery and look at how many slow moving items have been discontinued. Recently somewhere I saw that the shipping cost from the U.K. to the states could be close to 500 GBP. Local shops buy auto glass from Pilkington and Mike from the shop we use told me Pilkington only deals with shops now. I pulled up the Pilkington web site yesterday and nothing came up for Sunbeams. I have in my stock one new windshield for the early series Alpines and one new one for the later Alpines / Tigers as well as several used ones of both styles. The new ones came from VB a few years back. We own three Harringtons and we had a local shop cut a set of both door and rear windows for them and the shop sent them to LOF in Columbus to be tempered or whatever they do to them. These windows are flat so that didn't present a problem as making a one off windshield would. They have the LOF etching to show the spec. Thank gosh for having a wife that has allowed me to buy spare parts.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Also assuming no 20% VAT

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just got a reply from Pilkington moments ago. They have NO STOCK and have discontinued ALL of their classic glass applications...

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
nope, no stock and they have discontinued their ENTIRE line of classic glass

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Sean. It just seems un-American for a company to be sitting on inventory that someone is willing to buy. I hope you are successful in reaching the right person at MOSS who can authorize the release of the w/s they have in stock.

Rick

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks Sean. It just seems un-American for a company to be sitting on inventory that someone is willing to buy. I hope you are successful in reaching the right person at MOSS who can authorize the release of the w/s they have in stock.

Rick
me too! If I do get a positive reaction, the second place to know will be the forum!
I thought MOSS took over Victoria British? Don't know what ever happened to all the Sunbeam parts VB had in stock.

Rick
all of the stock is sitting in tractor trailers in either the parking lots in Goleta or in Virginia... for over 3 years now. I have been talking to the powers that be all this time, reminding them that they are paying inventory taxes on all of this... No one I have talked to understands what is going on. When Moss took over XK's Unlimited, the integration of parts was just as screwed up. I have to think that they just took them over to eliminate competition... they really didn't want the inventory.

Warren

Gold forum user
The place that made the hard top glass back windows for Lee and I is still in business. I'd ask what they are doing with the mold .

Hoghead

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have had windscreens made in Thailand for odd vehicles and about 300 for a one of - presumable more will be a lot cheaper
Freight will be the deal breaker unless a lot of them shipped via sea.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Rick
It would be great if the windshields can be bought. Hopefully they don't see the write off to dump them doesn't exceed the profit from selling them. That could make a difference.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The place that made the hard top glass back windows for Lee and I is still in business. I'd ask what they are doing with the mold .
If that mold still exists, I know of a scratch proof Lexan vendor. What was the original price of the HT rear glass? Just feeling the market . . . . . .

Warren

Gold forum user
As I recall about 225 . They had no markings but were AS1 equivalent. The place is still in business in Burbank...

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
OK, finally got to someone high enough up on the food chain at Moss. Word is, they are understaffed and not particularly motivated.. They have 72 windshields. I was advised that it might be another couple of years before they find the motivation to address the Sunbeam parts.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OK, finally got to someone high enough up on the food chain at Moss. Word is, they are understaffed and not particularly motivated.. They have 72 windshields. I was advised that it might be another couple of years before they find the motivation to address the Sunbeam parts.
You did your best! I've bought both early and late windshields from VB over the years so I wonder if Moss may have a mix of both styles.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
You did your best! I've bought both early and late windshields from VB over the years so I wonder if Moss may have a mix of both styles.
I just gave him the part number for the series 3-5 and Tiger. I have no idea how many of the early w/s's they might have. I spoke with the marketing director in charge of the VB parts stock.