Prices of Parts For Sale

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi all!

Recently a Forum member asked why we don’t “require” that prices be posted for items listed for sale on the Forum. To my knowledge this issue has never come up. That is my official answer while wearing my Forum “Admin” hat. However, let me remove my Admin hat for a bit…

Personally, I rarely sell Tiger parts. I am not in the business of flipping parts for profit and I confess I don’t have any idea about the current value of parts. I don’t know what is fair. Nor do I know “what the market will bear”.

Further, “Value” to me is never a fixed amount. To me “price” has a sliding scale. If I need just one particular piece to finish a restoration or if I need one part to get my Tiger back on the road, those parts will have a higher value to me than they do when I’m walking through a Tiger swap meet where I’m overwhelmed by a vast number of Tiger parts.

If one day my wife tells me to thin down our own personal collection of Tiger parts, I would be clueless about naming prices. I’d be inclined to simply list what I have available and wait to learn if there is any interest and let any responses establish a price. My price could certainly change depending on the buyer. I would consider “need”. I’d probably charge a parts flipper more than I would charge a person who really needs something I have for his car. (And I would not take advantage pricewise that there was a real need for that part.)

On the other hand, if I were forced to name a price to list a part I would probably list the price rather high out of fear that setting a price low it would result in it being gobbled by a parts flipper rather than going to a more needy home. (I like the idea of parts going to the needy.) If I don’t want to name a price I might just entirely skip listing it on this Forum, instead saving it for the next Tiger swap meet. I imagine that some might even suggest that if we required vendors to specify the price of parts for sale, that equity would argue that buyers should post prices for items they list in the “parts wanted” section.

(Admin hat’s back on.) The Forum staff can certainly discuss establishing a requirement for posting prices for all parts offered if there is a clear consensus demonstrated that posting prices should be required

Buck Trippel
Admin

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am not in the business of flipping parts for profit and I confess I don’t have any idea about the current value of parts. I don’t know what is fair. Nor do I know “what the market will bear”.

. My price could certainly change depending on the buyer. I would consider “need”. I’d probably charge a parts flipper more than I would charge a person who really needs something I have for his car. (And I would not take advantage pricewise that there was a real need for that part.)

On the other hand, if I were forced to name a price to list a part I would probably list the price rather high out of fear that setting a price low it would result in it being gobbled by a parts flipper rather than going to a more needy home. (I like the idea of parts going to the needy.) If I don’t want to name a price I might just entirely skip listing it on this Forum, instead saving it for the next Tiger swap meet.

Buck, like you I'm more a collector than seller. Most of the very limited parts i have sold have gone to people i know and either swapped for parts i need or have sold on at cost to help them with something they need for a worthwhile project/ necessary repair.

I responded to the thread where the issue of posting a price was raised as i dont mind people asking what something may be worth..

However im less ( yes just my personal preference) supportive of the posts where a seller has a good idea of a minimum they are prepared to take, but post a make offers style post that ends up less transparent than ebay and more like a sealed tender auction... I think that's not great for the Tiger community as it literally becomes about maximising a value... If that's the case... Ebay , fakebook and other selling platforms designednfor such things are better...
For me the parts for sale of CAT is more like an online " parts room" or " swap meet" service...

Just my .02

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
sometime when a alpine part comes up for sale-the value can be quite different than an tiger specific part- some tiger owners just want to hord or get a deal to sell later- if you put an item out there lets say for 50 cents they will mostly ask will you take 25 cents- when you ask the moon more than likely they laugh out loud- I'll put my phone number down and talk personally- if they don't call they really don't need that part- I've been very fair in pricing and help out in locating other parts for people- maybe also while this subject is up how about the "parts wanted" should yo put a price on what your willing to pay??

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bryan,

Just to be clear, my comments aren't directed at you, but i note you were a poster in the thread that the issue was raised, but that isnt aimed at you.

Re alpine v tiger parts.. If its the same part the value should be the same.. Some rare tiger specific parts are valuable due to them not being reproduced or competiton for them to complete a correct rebuild etc... Them being valuable is not an issue.... Someone asking a market rate is not an issue...but if it becomes a silent auction.. If prefer they end up on ebay or some other formal aucyion site.... Just my personal opinion...not that of the club, and as they say opinions are like.... and they all stink...

it is fine to put a high price on something and be open about it... If people want to try and low ball you... And you are set on the price....Ignore them.

I just personally think its not beneficial to the group if someone knows how much they want for a part and wont state it in the post.

Im not doubting peoples good will.. Im just suggesting that the for sale section here should be as transparent as possible.

As for a price in a wanted adv ... Interesting thought... We used to have a forum member that would post ebay auctions for parts just after they were listed as wanted here... Each to their own i guess on that front.

I personally prefer people list the price they want, especially if its a knowledgeable owner, if you get what you are happy with no harm no foul...

If someone is buying off you to just flip to someone else ( i had that happen to me in a local club.. After they fed me some BS about needing the part but not having the budget so i discounted it for them...only to have them sell it on +50% immediately.. Which did me and the ultimate buyer a disservice.... I have never heloed that person again) then they are not acting in the club spirit of helping each other.

Anyway... Its just my thought... Not aimed at anyone in particular...i just think if someone kniws how much they are prepared to accept for a part ..list it.. It will weed out tyre kickers too.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bottom line: When a client's project needs parts, I go hunting and tell them what I find $$$. The price is only one factor of many.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Availability and rehab cost of used parts as well as condition of NOS items has a lot to do with the price.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Having restored and maintained a few other non-Sunbeam cars I can honestly say Sunbeam people are the best, very helpful and parts availability and pricing IMO is and has been one the things that has kept so many of our cars one the road and Sunbeam ownership such a great experience and pretty easy IMO. This is not to say that sometimes parts may be overpriced plus many parts are just getting more rare and more difficult to get (just saying). My attitude is that a part's value needs to includes things such as: time/availability for someone to have the part available for sale in the first place. Such as: initial cost to seller and $/time values (the part may have been obtained years ago when seller purchased an entire parts car, transportation costs, disassemble, clean, organize parts, storage, insurance, knowing what/where the part is, time to take pictures, describe accurately, often answer technical support questions from buyer, more time just to talk Sunbeam, etc. encountered, negotiation, payment details, packaging/drop off at a shipper, shipping adventures/insurance claims possible, etc. .. all this so a part can end up at my front door. WOW, we are surrounded by a lot of good Sunbeam folks and MANY MANY thanks to all of you with spare parts that at are helping everyone in the long term

Warren

Gold forum user
Historically there hasn't been a price requirement on our forum.
More than one Tiger owner has said to me you're like everyone else. That is buying projects because there's parts you want or may need. It started out with the thought, gee I'd like to have some spare body parts so I can continue to drive like a teenager. :)

I had some experience finding parts for vintage motorcycles and bicycles and VWs there's very few parts not re popped on VWs but most NOS parts carried hefty prices. There's two really big sites I played on beforeTheSamba a VW site and TheCABE a vintage bicycle site and they both require a price. Was I upset when they deleted my ad for lack of price sure. Their forum posted the rules. But who reads the rules these days:) I do my best to post a fair price sure and add or best offer, not the Dr.Evil approach.

I found all my bits the hard way bought rolling wrecks or basket cases and got em because people don't always want to ala Carte individual items. Plus back in the days of the LA Recycler I picked up the paper hot off the press in Silver Lake. Not to buy parts but used cars when I needed one.

How many times have you been to a swap meet at dawn and had a seller pricing items from completed ePay auctions.
But back to what other Sunbeam sites do.
SAOCA does not require a price on their Alpine forum but many are there They do now require as small of a donation as 5 bucks. We include it in the membership.
The UK forum has a set of rules posted here http://www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=558
Just for comparison only as I certainly would not want eBay ads cross posted here unless there was a chance for the seller/lister to cancel auction and member price our members. Yes that'd be a PiTA to regulate.
There is a community here but as they say $ is the root or is it Rootes of all evil ;)

GearHead_66

Bronze forum user
With that in mind, does someone on the forum know where I might scare up a Tiger script intake manifold and Tiger script valve covers for my MkI?
Thanks guys!
Chris...

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
With that in mind, does someone on the forum know where I might scare up a Tiger script intake manifold and Tiger script valve covers for my MkI?
Thanks guys!
Chris...
As I understand by this forum you are to state a price you are willing to pay 😊

GearHead_66

Bronze forum user
Depending on condition, I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $250 for an intake and $250 for valve covers. These are intended for use on my car and not for a resale, which would be a logical consideration.
Chris...

Warren

Gold forum user
Sunbeam Specialties is still sold out of the valve covers? You want one set of those on your car until you have to take them off and put them back on again with the motor in the car.
That's not a lot of fun.
All I see in the land of intakes is you can find a decent F4B on that price on Craigslist

Last edited:

GearHead_66

Bronze forum user
Thanks Warren for the info!
Sunbeam Specialties' Buddy Bar valve covers would be nice, but they are super spendy at almost $600. Not sure if they are in stock. I may have to go that route but I'm hoping to find some take offs for a bit less. I imagine the cast valve cover are taller than the steel stampings they would be replacing which should make the install a bit of a squeeze.
I have an old F4B that I was planning to use on this engine build but I would prefer the Tiger script intake if I can scrounge one up.
Ever hopeful.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Warren for the info!
Sunbeam Specialties' Buddy Bar valve covers would be nice, but they are super spendy at almost $600. Not sure if they are in stock. I may have to go that route but I'm hoping to find some take offs for a bit less. I imagine the cast valve cover are taller than the steel stampings they would be replacing which should make the install a bit of a squeeze.
I have an old F4B that I was planning to use on this engine build but I would prefer the Tiger script intake if I can scrounge one up.
Ever hopeful.
I have a spare set of valve cover castings beaded and cleaned at $300.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My thoughts, - pick the intake manifold 1st because that will be the most work to swap/install IMO. You also may need consider a carb upgrade ?. I really like an old and period correct Edelbrock F4b but be warned that not all used parts are in good condition (corrosion, over-milled, stripped treads, etc) so inspect well. If new (non-period correct) is an option, I am running a Edelbrock Performer you can get easily online now and I have no complaints (mid performace 275+ HP 289 and no complaints).

Valve covers can easily be swapped out down the road fairly easy and no major mess, just time. Good luck making your decision and finding the parts.

Also, IMO the original chrome Tiger valve covers look pertty darn good, especially cleaned up. Also, you can buy new (repo) Hi-Po SBF Ford chrome valve covers for resonable $)

Warren

Gold forum user
The Tiger script low rise manifolds are said to be no better than a cast iron stock one.

SS valve covers are repop LAT ones last catalog they were 400 I think. They are totally un fun to R and R the back bolts. But there's something to be said for laying across your hood and motor to reach em ;)

Replacement chrome valve are really cheap and quick install, so I totally agree with Boss Tiger . I'm going to pull off my LAT ones just for fun and because they leak , put on a set of much lighter Cal Custom high finned covers.

Good luck I used to shop moto swap meets dreaming to find an AC housing .... But that's another story.

GearHead_66

Bronze forum user
Warren:
Have you run across a Tiger script high rise intake? If so, do you have any idea whether there is adequate room under the hood for the high rise, carb and air cleaner? I assumed the low rise intake was needed for clearance, but maybe not, eh?
Chris...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do you have any pix of these you could share?
Chris...
1663093067640.png
1663093012739.png