Re : Speedometer

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Is there a difference between the MKII speedometer , and the MKIA speedometer outside of the front Facia.
Is the internal the same .

Thanks

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Is that a 15 tooth ? For the MK1?
Yes 15 teeth for mk1

BD42FE97-6344-4D0D-9B6F-1B7BA0C947F6.png

54DE4B0A-2502-4DC4-9793-C65DE08F9F25.jpeg

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks for the picture maybe an edit is in order to scratch out the phone number. The ones I have do not look that nice.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
There would be a lot of time involved in getting the correct compound and geometry to make it feasible

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Can you just change the gear number of teeth on the speedo cable or do you have to change the gear on the gearbox shaft as well

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You can get a speedo onversion box.. This way you can set the gearing to represent what your actual diff and rolling radius of your wheel and tyres combo produces in terms of revolutions per mile

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The original gears are likely nylon. I don't know if that is available for 3D printing.
Nylon is available just not sure if all nylon is the same. Not a material engineer but will look around. The YouTube video above shows nylon and polycarbonate failing under tension. This application wouldn't likely be under the same resistance but would have to withstand heat, oil and repetition.

Some differing types of resin are below. I think one of the more time-consuming parts would be creating the 3D scan to be used as the model for printing the gear.

https://taulman3d.com/index.html

Further Googling shows that there are 3D Print Services to be had. Perhaps something that can be contracted out instead of buying and experimenting.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dont need a 3d scan .. Just accurate dimensions and the pitch of the teeth .. Can then 3d model it