Re : Speedometer

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nylon is available just not sure if all nylon is the same. Not a material engineer but will look around. The YouTube video above shows nylon and polycarbonate failing under tension. This application wouldn't likely be under the same resistance but would have to withstand heat, oil and repetition.

Some differing types of resin are below. I think one of the more time-consuming parts would be creating the 3D scan to be used as the model for printing the gear.

https://taulman3d.com/index.html

Further Googling shows that there are 3D Print Services to be had. Perhaps something that can be contracted out instead of buying and experimenting.
I would agree it's question whether a printed part will hold up in this application. From my experience, which is not extensive, printed parts can be very accurate but do not have the same integrity as a part that was molded under tons or pressure. Printing is great for things like housings and non working parts but that is not the case here. Not the greatest load on a speedo gear but some nonetheless.
I'm not saying it won't work but there are questions.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone have the Ford part number for the 15 tooth speedo gear?
If someone has the Ford part number there are several obsolete Ford parts suppliers out there. There's Obsolete Ford in OK or Greens in Cincinnati. They're a supplier that I've bought from before since they're close to me.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Gary, Mkl “Speedometer” Driving Wheel (Gear) Ford part number is as follows......B7C-17285-A

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If someone has the Ford part number there are several obsolete Ford parts suppliers out there. There's Obsolete Ford in OK or Greens in Cincinnati. They're a supplier that I've bought from before since they're close to me.
The closest I have found is this 16 tooth Type 3A left hand from MAC's Auto Pts (no affil)
1646111361309.png

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the parts number. The search continues.

BTW, Randy, the gear you posted is a left handed gear, which is for the right side.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
According to my earlier research, nobody is offering a 15 teeth speedo gear. The closest you can get is 16 teeth. It works ok, since the deviation can be regarded minor(~6%)...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
According to my earlier research, nobody is offering a 15 teeth speedo gear. The closest you can get is 16 teeth. It works ok, since the deviation can be regarded minor(~6%)...
Depending on wheel and tyre size.. The original may not be that useful anway....

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I always thought it best that all the gauges in my dash functioned properly and looked somewhat 'correct' too :cool:
I run GPS on the speedo so no more cable and have a surplus 15 t gear if anyone is in desperate need...

dashboard 2022.jpg

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Unobtanium no longer
No problem to scan to 25 micron accuracy, generate a 3D drawing, and have it printed or machined.

Reasonable cost here in Thailand for this sort of project and low production runs, and I use Global Dimensions in Bangkok for such work. Here they are at my house scanning the IFS on my FrankenBeetle for Brembo callipers and front hub design.
They also did a very complicated switch gear housing for one of my bikes.View attachment DSC_6963.JPG

Get a group order together and I can coordinate the project

View attachment DSC_7029.JPG

Triump_update_with_new_mirror_mount_5_October_2020 (1).jpg

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Printing can be done in various plastics, or carbon fiber reinforced plastic.
In this case the milling is more complicated for the gear, so a suitable "plastic" would be best

Machining in aluminium is really not that expensive here and the switchgear shown above was about the same price as in carbon reinforced plastic
BTW, if anyone rides a Bonnie T-120, that switch gear clamp allows fitment of a Brembo radial master cylinder. To my knowledge, this part is not commercially available.

View attachment DSC_7030.JPG

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
From Robert aka Hoghead previous posting.
BTW, if anyone rides a Bonnie T-120, that switch gear clamp allows fitment of a Brembo radial master cylinder.