Seat recline lever knob

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone know where to get replacement recline lever knob?
If not, the only thing I could come up is to use black plast-dip.

8555C0EE-32C9-49C4-AED4-59161B192866.jpeg

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I have quite a few of those handles and some are in really nice condition. I haven't manged to get them off though... maybe heat them up? must be glued on :rolleyes:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are they hard plastic? Are they smooth or pebbled?
Mine I so deteriorated I can't tell.
Are they a slip-on knob, or are yours just aged on?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
They are plastic and they are NOT designed to come off the metal. Mk1 seats have a different handle than the Mk1A/Mk2 seats.... I sent one to Bob (Hoghead)... don't have anymore...

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
They are plastic and they are NOT designed to come off the metal. Mk1 seats have a different handle than the Mk1A/Mk2 seats.... I sent one to Bob (Hoghead)... don't have anymore...
I was curious so I warmed up a couple with a heat gun and they cam off with only light persuasion
1675229533600.jpeg

CA339DB1-9C54-4548-A2B6-EBB107F4E466.jpeg

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Related to this, does anyone know if these handles and also the gear toothed latching parts were originally painted or maybe left bare metal and cad plated?

Last edited:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I looked closely at mine and I think they are zinc plated steel. The rest of the frame is painted gray.

GPNVCAT

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I did the black plastic dip and it worked very well. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference at a glance. Not as glossy as stock but looks the business. It took several dips to get the proper dimensions.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did the black plastic dip and it worked very well. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference at a glance. Not as glossy as stock but looks the business. It took several dips to get the proper dimensions.
GPNVCAT.
Did the Plasti dip harden sufficiently?

I did a test with the Plasti dip and it does look pretty close to the original. However, the plastic has not hardened yet and remains moldable after 14 hours or so. It's a go for me if the plastic hardens.

AE57E00F-1074-47FD-A12B-0BA2C7355418.jpeg

Last edited:

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have over 20 seats in my storage shed, so likely could find some good levers. Maybe I should dismantle a few for parts, as they take up way too much room.... A better idea..... Anybody want to buy a bunch of seats in bulk, say 10 pair?

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I have over 20 seats in my storage shed, so likely could find some good levers. Maybe I should dismantle a few for parts, as they take up way too much room.... A better idea..... Anybody want to buy a bunch of seats in bulk, say 10 pair?
I don't really have a need for 10 pair of seats, but I would like to get a nice pair of lever handles. If you have a couple good ones, please send me a picture and the price you would want in a private conversation.

Thanks,

Marty

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I also would like two recline handle knobs. Please pm me the photos and price as well.

Thanks.

Paul

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have never used plastic dip. How many 'dips' does it take and how much time to get the finished handle in your picture?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If one was so inclined.. get a decent lever with handle intact... Or get plasticine or modelling clay and form a handle on a lever.... Add vasaline... Make a plaster mold that can go into 2... Then pour the platidip into that and insert your lever.... Let it set... Could make an accurate handle... And...repeat the process.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have never used plastic dip. How many 'dips' does it take and how much time to get the finished handle in your picture?
It took about 6 dips. I squished it after 5 dips in a vice over night after putting it in a plastic bag to flatten it before the plasti dip was fully dry. I then coated it one more time.