Specs on C.A.T. Club front and rear competion springs.

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
In 1976-1977 I modified a Mark II I owned at the time. I used the competition front and rear springs sold by C.A.T. at the time. I no longer own the Mark II, but now have a Mark IA that had been sitting in a garage for 43 years. It needs a tremendous amount of work, and I would like to obtain front and rear springs comparable to those that were sold by the club. Does anyone have the specs on the springs? Front spring heigh, spring rate and specs for the rear springs. I was extremely pleased with the ride height, ride and handling after installing them, Koni Shocks and the 7/8" hollow front sway bar. I understand Dales Restoration has good setups, but I would prefer to compare with what worked so well before. The fiberglass flares from C.A.T. was a nice touch as well The tree point bar in this photo was exchanged for a 4 point. The Libre 7-inch wheels and B. F. Goodrich BR50 x13 and LAT traction bars also worked well with the suspension set up.

View attachment 67 Mark II.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice libre wheels, and the silver colour.

Delete on the mkii sill and arch trims i guess due ti flares... Has thr clear front indicator lens and mki headlight rims...

Not so sure on the spolier šŸ˜¦

But am a fan of a silver tiger:

index.php

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
fjohn49, I applaud your want to turn back the clock

But I would encourage you to revise your goals.

A LOT has changed in 40+ years!

FYI, The CAT front springs were advertised to be 320-325 lbs/in.

I'm not sure of the free height.

I don't remember any advertised spring rate on the CAT rear springs.

...outside of "Veriable rate" depending on how many leaves you use.

But the bottom line here is the CAT front springs are Too soft.

And the CAT Rear springs are Too hard.

When I bought my first Tiger (c. 1979), it had CAT springs all the way around.

I didn't know any better at the time, But I ended up removing the CAT springs

to get the car to REALLY handle well!

Depending on what your plans are for the car, Better springs choices are out there.

Or to put it another way, Regardless of your car plans, better springs are out there.

DW

Last edited by a moderator:

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the input and am looking for some good advice as I haven't owned the Mark II since 1985. The Mark 1A won't be used for competition but definitely needs to be lower and stffer than stock springs. I've just started reading through the Forum to get some ideas.

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Nice libre wheels, and the silver colour.

Delete on the mkii sill and arch trims i guess due ti flares... Has thr clear front indicator lens and mki headlight rims...

Not so sure on the spolier šŸ˜¦

But am a fan of a silver tiger:

index.php
Great looking car! I do love the silver.

Warren

Gold forum user
Too bad you missed the swap mee int there was a similar roll bar . There's also a pal in Central Caliber Folsom CA who told me he had one. Maybe either could go Greyhound bus to you. There was also se rear springs. I have the the 400 or 450 lb springs in front but live in Potholeifornia. So it's a love hate thing going on. But maybe the better mix is a 1" sway bar and more comfortable springs under 450 .

Guessing that you are on East coast by the early posting.

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Cincinnat Ohio Thanks for the reply. I just rejoined C.A.T. after I picked up the Mark 1. Going to be a process to get it presentable. Virtually everything needs to be replaced.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure if this helps but I think it's the ID's from the Cat club springs. They were made by Triangle, when I contacted them they said that they couldn't give me the specs but could a dealer of Triangle springs. Not sure why but if these are the springs you have, both ends with the small bushings, this is the part number I had on the bottom of them. I did take them to a place that did a refurb on them as I needed the ends closed up a bit for solid bushings, and a regular clean up. They didn't have much info on them. One thing that I don't necessarily like is that I had to add lowering blocks to them to at least get the ride height down a bit. Even with that I feel it could go another inch lower, but not super happy to add any more spacer between the axle and the spring. Have to get everything in the car to see.

1671044792937.jpeg

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Not sure if this helps but I think it's the ID's from the Cat club springs. They were made by Triangle, when I contacted them they said that they couldn't give me the specs but could a dealer of Triangle springs. Not sure why but if these are the springs you have, both ends with the small bushings, this is the part number I had on the bottom of them. I did take them to a place that did a refurb on them as I needed the ends closed up a bit for solid bushings, and a regular clean up. They didn't have much info on them. One thing that I don't necessarily like is that I had to add lowering blocks to them to at least get the ride height down a bit. Even with that I feel it could go another inch lower, but not super happy to add any more spacer between the axle and the spring. Have to get everything in the car to see.

View attachment 16491
Thank you

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have those CAT rear leaf springs on my car now Remember pulling off the bottom short leaf (still have those around somewhere) - runing 205x50r15 tires and stock fender lips.

2020-07-19 17.04.04.jpg

Last edited:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One thing I want to point out, even though I suggest Other springs are out there,

Availability is VERY spotty!

I have Long thought CAT should get back in the FRONT spring business.

...rear springs? NOT so much.

The reason I say this about the rear springs, is because the rear springs are asked

to do a LOT!

and among their task is to Control the POWER of the engine.

For the rear springs to do EVERYTHING well is a BIG compromise!!

YMMV.

DW

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I also have a pr of rear springs that came from Dale A. guessing around 2017 that I would recommend if available (not car pictured)

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I appreciate the replies. The rear axle is going to a shop to have a limited slip installed, bearings and seals replaced. This car sat in a garage for 43 years and needs most everything replaced, reinforced, etc., before I install new springs. I referenced the CAT springs I had on my Mark II, as the ride height was lower than the stock springs, was a comfortable ride, as well as handling well on Nelson Ledges Road Course. I'll call Dale to obtain info on his springs and hopefully he can guide me a good setup.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I talked to Dale earlier this year he didn't have any rear springs in stock and wasn't really planning on getting more due to increased costs. I recently contacted Tom Hall about front springs and he said he is out of the spring business due to his suppliers going out of business.
As DW stated above, availability is very spotty.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
fjohn49. Pretty neat old pictures of your Mkll, do you remember the VIN or JAL of that car?
Brian

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I converted my Tiger to front coil-overs ages ago and that gives me both ride height adjustability and access to a large array of spring rates, although I have not yet found any reason to change from the 450 lb/in. that I got at the outset. I think one thing that helps with the ride quality is to eliminate the extra preload and friction that comes from the way the front anti-roll bar is mounted, but that's a whole separate topic.

The CAT front springs I have, are 3.25 inch ID and 11 inches tall. Just pulled them out of the box they've been in for 20 years.

I just had a look at Summit's website and they have a selection of springs with 3 inch inner diameter: https://www.summitracing.com/search...50-lbs-in+coilover-spring-length-in:10-000-in

Obviously machining of adapters for both top and bottom would be required but it seems like those could be made to work, in the absence of purpose-made springs.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I bought springs from Speedway Motors and cut them. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-Suspension-Front-Springs,45731.html
I bought the 400 #/inch spring and cut them to 8.5" which gives around 600#/inch.
The front ride height is close to 2" clearance between the tire and wheel arch or -7/8" to the lower a arm bolt.
I used the stock spring rubber up the top. I cut the spring in my power hacksaw parralel to the ground end of the spring. It seated in the bottom a arm fine. I haven't driven it yet though.
600# is a bit highr than I wanted, but if it is too harsh, I will buy some new springs.
I also have a 7/8" sway bar in front instead of the stock 3/4". I also have adjustable Spax shocks.

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I converted my Tiger to front coil-overs ages ago and that gives me both ride height adjustability and access to a large array of spring rates, although I have not yet found any reason to change from the 450 lb/in. that I got at the outset. I think one thing that helps with the ride quality is to eliminate the extra preload and friction that comes from the way the front anti-roll bar is mounted, but that's a whole separate topic.

The CAT front springs I have, are 3.25 inch ID and 11 inches tall. Just pulled them out of the box they've been in for 20 years.

I just had a look at Summit's website and they have a selection of springs with 3 inch inner diameter: https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/coilover-springs?N=coilover-spring-inside-diameter-in:3-000-in+coilover-spring-rate-lbs-in:400-lbs-in_500-lbs-in_450-lbs-in+coilover-spring-length-in:10-000-in

Obviously machining of adapters for both top and bottom would be required but it seems like those could be made to work, in the absence of purpose-made springs.