Specs on C.A.T. Club front and rear competion springs.

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I bought springs from Speedway Motors and cut them. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-Suspension-Front-Springs,45731.html
I bought the 400 #/inch spring and cut them to 8.5" which gives around 600#/inch.
The front ride height is close to 2" clearance between the tire and wheel arch or -7/8" to the lower a arm bolt.
I used the stock spring rubber up the top. I cut the spring in my power hacksaw parralel to the ground end of the spring. It seated in the bottom a arm fine. I haven't driven it yet though.
600# is a bit highr than I wanted, but if it is too harsh, I will buy some new springs.
I also have a 7/8" sway bar in front instead of the stock 3/4". I also have adjustable Spax shocks.
I'll look into your suggestions, Appreciate the reply

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Theo, I would also be interested in the details of your coil-over transition from the stock springs.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Theo, I would also be interested in the details of your coil-over transition from the stock springs.
In 2002 I had an engine problem that prompted me to pull the 5-bolt 289 and figure out some kind of replacement. As part of that process, I removed the front crossmember and it became obvious that some kind of attention there was going to be necessary also.
My Tiger had suffered an apparent lower balljoint failure on the right side at some point; the outboard end of the right lower control arm was ground flat parallel to the ground, and the upper control arm appeared to also have some kind of twist. After I removed the control arms it became obvious that both upper arm mounts (on the crossmember) were twisted to the right as well.
On top of all that I was not that happy about the way the (CAT) springs sat in the crossmember and on the control arms; it seemed like stuff just didn't quite fit right.
So, I scoured the interwebs and found a pair of Aldan single-adjustable coilover shocks with 450 pound springs. I cut the upper control arm mounts off the crossmember, then used a large hole saw to cut clearance holes for the coilovers in the lower control arms and in the crossmember 'hats' where the upper control arm mount perches used to be. I fabricated new upper control arm / shock mounts from steel plate and welded them into place; for the lower end of the coilovers I made an H shaped piece that locates the lower eye on the control arm.
My Tiger came to me with a 1 inch anti-roll bar that a previous owner had bent up. It more-or-less fit the stock mounting on the control arms, but there is a lot of friction there that contributes to harsh ride and it also has a preload effect on the lower control arm location.
I decided that what I wanted was to go to a more conventional arrangement where the anti roll bar has bearings that locate it on the car chassis, with drop links going from the bar ends to the lower crossmember. I made some 1 x 3 steel tubing extensions on the crossmember to anchor the roll bar bushings. I made the roll bar bushings out of some UHMW plastic. For the drop links I used some 3/8 inch bolts with shock bushings for compliance. I drilled and ground the ends of the bar to accommodate the drop links.
Lastly, I had read lots about the occasional occurrence of lower fulcrum pin failure. Since I was intending to run larger than stock tires and wheels, I figured that if I could do something to maybe mitigate the possibility of failure and/or limit the consequences, that would be good. I made some brackets and welded them onto the back side of the crossmember, so that I could mount 1 x 2 tubing braces that effectively capture the rear free end of the fulcrum pin and places it in double shear. This would hopefully reduce the stress on the rear end of the fulcrum pin, and if it were to crack, it would at least provide a bit of support for enough time to bring the car to a safe stop. I looked a bit and can't immediately find pictures of that.
DSC00003.JPG
DSC00005.JPG

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Coil Spring Specialties in Kansas will make you anything you want and even have an order sheet to spec out Tiger front springs
I had them make 450 in/lb x 1" shorter than stock last year for 300 USD