Sunbeam Tiger remote oil filter

Warren

Gold forum user
Yeah I've searched the email list and it's like a knitting needle in a haystack. Plus it's ok for those who can't stay on topic because they repeat the question with every answer.... ;)

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Tiger I just bought does not have a remote oil filter. It has a short oil filter screwed directly onto the block.
Was the remote filter stock or an option on the Tiger 1A?
If it was stock, I have a lot of hunting to do.
Sorry. missed first name...

For a response to the original question; take a peek at Sunbeam Specialties' catalog, p13. Where, incidentally, one can also purchase reproduction hoses (when in stock). For original/repro metal fittings, someone here may offer up a set. SS catalog If not, they come up regularly.

And to be controversial.... Warren's right. The stock location is kind of a nightmare for remove (and replace) of the upside down filter, but more so for re-tighten... need to have BTDT, tools and patience to stop leaks. IF I were driving my car as much as I am AND I acquired it with a short block fitted filter, I'd be apt to leave it be for more frequent changes. Except, I'm also pretty rigid about wanting stock set-up (preferred) and/or appearance (at minimum). I mean... one COULD fit a false stock line and filter fitting on the top side in addition...not too many crawling under the car at shows. Might be the best of both worlds. ;-)

Derek

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have an compete oil filter set-up- minus hoses which you can get- Bryan

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought about putting an original oil filter assembly to keep the car original, which is the car I am building, but I could not do something original which is clearly of poor design. So I went with the Ford racing 90 degree oil filter adapter.

Thanks everybody for your input.

KenF

Gold forum user
I bought a complete original setup a few months back just to have it on hand in case I ever sell the car. It'll probably stay in the box on the shelf.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
From the Tigers East concours document, the oil filter assembly is a 2 point deduction out of 200 points. I will take that for functionality.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I thought about putting an original oil filter assembly to keep the car original, which is the car I am building, but I could not do something original which is clearly of poor design. So I went with the Ford racing 90 degree oil filter adapter.

Let us know how well it works. I am considering going this route as well.

Warren

Gold forum user

Ha ha then you should have a modern IFS suspension . I like Derek's DD idea.
Same goes for the 155 dollars from SS for the brake booster rebuild kit.
I'd bet that the high survivor rate for these cars was the crappy hydraulics, and generally @#$_ ing factor of maintenance items.
The highest price I saw for a used filter and hose set was 300 bucks. I bought one for 150 just so I could say I had one and it seemed like a good idea at the time..
I do get a l WTH were they thinking whenever ever I see an retrofit hung up side down in original location filter.

The best set up has gotta be a remote with a cooler with a temp by pass as covering the radiator isn't easy on a MK2 and it can be cold blooded on 50 to 60 degree weather.

I totally see the math in the 2 points deduction. Even if you start adding up another 2 points for an additional wire coming out of the distributor for a Pertronix ignition and so on :)