Sunbeam Tiger remote oil filter

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Tiger I just bought does not have a remote oil filter. It has a short oil filter screwed directly onto the block.
Was the remote filter stock or an option on the Tiger 1A?
If it was stock, I have a lot of hunting to do.

KenF

Gold forum user
Remote oil filter mounted to the front of the left head was stock. Mine was missing that part also when I got the car. I hear hoses are pricey. I went with the 60's Econoline adapter and Wix 51516 filter.
I wonder what % of Tigers still have the remote setup.

Warren

Gold forum user
Messy

And turns a 15 minutes job into a 3 or 4 times is it tight enough to stop leaking PiTA.. but that's my op after changing the oil in the MK2 3X in the first 1000 miles on a just broke in 90,000 mile motor. I would never have one on a stock car personally with the cost of proper hoses and the aforementioned wrestling with the wrenches.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Remote oil filter mounted to the front of the left head was stock. Mine was missing that part also when I got the car. I hear hoses are pricey. I went with the 60's Econoline adapter and Wix 51516 filter.
I wonder what % of Tigers still have the remote setup.
Well I have another Tiger without the remote filter setup, so my guess is that the percentage is fairly high. I recently heard about the Econoline adapter. that sounds like a nice solution. Can you provide details on the part numbers needed, the process and where you got the parts?

Thanks,

Marty

KenF

Gold forum user
Well I have another Tiger without the remote filter setup, so my guess is that the percentage is fairly high. I recently heard about the Econoline adapter. that sounds like a nice solution. Can you provide details on the part numbers needed, the process and where you got the parts?

Thanks,

Marty
The part number for the old cast iron oil filter adapter is C5TE-6884A, which sometimes pop up on eBay. Make sure you get the bolt, washers, etc., with it. Ford Motorsport makes a modern day aluminum equivalent, M-6880-A50. Sometimes these don't work if you have headers.

IMG_4831.JPG

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's what I bought. The old one is no longer available. It is nicely made, but I don't care for the blue anodizing.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
That's what I bought. The old one is no longer available. It is nicely made, but I don't care for the blue anodizing.
Paint it!! I had to paint all my blue/red anodized fittings ( to black ) on my car to get'collecter' insurance. Oddly though, stainless braided hose for any pressure line was allowed ( as a safety upgrade ??)... weird rules

KenF

Gold forum user
Sure would be nice if they made one at an angle so the filter hangs straight down. With billet material, shouldn't be that hard.

Warren

Gold forum user
I got a call from the guy who bought Rick M.s black car he asked if it was normal for the oil filter setup to have hoses and be down near the drain plug.
One of my cars has its hoses to just behind the front lic. plate. Having owned air cooled cars You get the feeling that just getting the oil filter out and away from the engine is almost as good as having an oil cooler.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Back in my early days of my Tigering, I looked at where the remote oil filters were put.

I didn't like any of them.

I put on my thinking cap and came up with:

Under the engine.

It fit all of these requirements:

1) Low

2) as far back as practical/possible

3) moves with the engine.

4) easy to drain the oil AND change the filter.

I made a bracket to mount the filter under the oil pan

and on the front of the lower bellhousing.

I SHOULD add, this was back before I had headers that left any room for a filter on the block!

Tiger Pix June 12 011.JPG

Last edited:

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That‘s an interesting idea - different if nothing else. The downside is it might be subject to road damage, but there are a number of upsides. Easy to change the filter, enhanced cooling, and being the lowest part in the system the filter will always be full of oil at start up.
-Kevin

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would add, the LACK of oil filter clearance with headers (LAT/CAT-early)

was a primary reason to up date the CAT headers back in the early '90s.

Also, the LAT/CAT-early headers where well known to hang down to the lowest part of a Tiger, so fitted.

So to have an oil filter down low was not the lowest part of the car.

And just for the record, my first under engine oil filter setup was a Dual filter mounting,

with extra low mounting that WAS the lowest part of the car.

I have since revised the mounting for more ground clearance.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It just occurred to me this is in the STOCK section...

Be careful of sneaking into the Personalized class.... just sayen.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
@spmdr

Dan the bracket and mount by the sump is nice, you said you did this pre headers, in the pic the filter looks very close to the header, does it heat the filter much or its ok? Do you ever sheild the filter?

My remote one is in the front left guard behind the headlight area and quite low, initially i worried about stones etc.. But its infront off the wheel so never been an issue.

Your setup is the neatest ive seen

Warren

Gold forum user
It just occurred to me this is in the STOCK section...

Be careful of sneaking into the Personalized class.... just sayen.
It's been moved by the formerly identifies as librarian. Easy to just look at the new posts that pop up rather than a eye glasses required page icon on old forum software.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I didn't intend for the Thread to be moved, just suggesting changes from "stock" eventually move a car to the world of Personalized.

I would HOPE just moving the remote oil filter would not upset a purest.

And I assume, the OP may well be coming from a "Stock" point of view.

BTW, another + for the under engine local, no extra holes need to be added.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Dan, I didn't go to the trouble of reading and moving all the stuff in the past to watch it become a cluster F that was General Tiger Discussion. We are searchable and that's what sets up apart from the email list and sometimes anti social media :)
Besides it gives Dave and something to ponder as to the lines between stock and personalized and modified.
We would have caught it sooner or later.

Maybe expand on the dual filter concept. Glass mat or be like those engineer types who cut up new filters compare the media and it's sq. inch.