Tire mounting on the new VTO rims is going well.....NOT!

chirodoc

Gold forum user
Pannard bar

Way back when the CAT newsletter had an orange coversheet there was a tech article RE:The PANNARD BAR. The article stated with the pannard bar you develop two roll centers counteracting one another, and putting the rearend in a bind and hense the upper mount gets torn away from the frame. Bottom line eliminate the pannard bar for better rearend geometry especilly when autocrossing, You then control understeer-oversteer with your right foot!!

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
All clean -

001-48.jpg

004-25.jpg

007-8.jpg

Meat!

Worked on the rear suspension, everything even. Cut some minor material out. Rub is all but eliminated. Guess it will be gone once the offending rubber is eventually removed.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke,

The car looks really nice.. the wheels suit it and the red/silver looks great. I am very ify on 15" wheels on the tiger.. even variations of the minilite style wheels can make it look quite different, 10 spoke Vs 8, panasport, superlite, minator, Gb, techdel and compomotive... the size of the hub section and shape profile of the spokes makes them look very different... yours look really nice.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Now...the reason I had to get new wheels.

001-51.jpg

002-54.jpg

003-36.jpg

These combined with the RX7 rear disks and I can finally stop as well as I can go. That is a big relief.

Install will be complete tomorrow and then it's go, stop, go, stop time.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With front rotors like that duke.. your line locker will allow you to shread those nice new rear tyres even longer.. :eek:

also.. are you running wider tyres on the rear but the same profil % as the front.. looks like you might have 55 or 50 profile on the front.. and similar profile.. but wider rubber.. hence a taller sidewall at the rear... whats the overall rolling radius on the rear now, have you effectively upped the gearing?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
whats the overall rolling radius on the rear now, have you effectively upped the gearing?

50 - front and back.

The RA1 over all diameter was was 22.7", these R888 are 23.7" I have dropped my 75 mph rpm by 100 rpm. Thats what the calculator tells me anyway.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maintain Hardwares

Duke: That kit usually comes with a list of replacement parts & pieces (along with the legal disclaimers). Best to contact your usual supply chain and check stock items like pads/etc. A lot of the parts like rotor hats/rotors/calipers are a common exchange piece, but the odd adaptors and special hubs might just become extinct with time. . . . . .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
50 - front and back.

The RA1 over all diameter was was 22.7", these R888 are 23.7" I have dropped my 75 mph rpm by 100 rpm. Thats what the calculator tells me anyway.

Makes sense, looked like same aspect ratio but different width hence taller profile.. you still running the 3.07? assume whe you go 5 speed the project will be mostly done.. as if!

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Would love to hear your feedback on the pads with the Wilwood Calipers, assuming they are stock item. I decided to run with Pagid Blue pads with my conversion Brembo Calipers, makes a huge difference. Make sure you bed them pads and rotors in hard first time around - none of this gentle/easing pressure for 500 miles. Drive it like you stole it!!

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Clearance

Duke,

How much clearance do you have between the inside of the rear tires and the leaf springs? Any rubbing on the fronts during tight turns?

Gary

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
How much clearance do you have between the inside of the rear tires and the leaf springs? Any rubbing on the fronts during tight turns?

Rim to spring - 1", tire to spring - 1/2". No rubbing. No way to get any more tire back there. I may go back to 205s for the next set.