weird gearbox issue

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
So, this is something I haven't encountered before. I have what looks to be a gearbox that is pressurizing internally. It's not leaking at the shifters, speedo drive or rear seal... It's forcing oil through the breather on the top cover and filling in the the depressed areas by the flange... when the car is "off level" the gear oil floods over the flange on the lid and down the sides of the gearbox... any suggestions??

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So, this is something I haven't encountered before. I have what looks to be a gearbox that is pressurizing internally. It's not leaking at the shifters, speedo drive or rear seal... It's forcing oil through the breather on the top cover and filling in the the depressed areas by the flange... when the car is "off level" the gear oil floods over the flange on the lid and down the sides of the gearbox... any suggestions??
Assuming it's not over filled: Top cover gasket installed wrong would be my guess. Or worse, the center is cut out or torn. Tiger & Cobra tunnels do get quite hot enough for fluid expansion, but they need splash access to expel the gear oil.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Assuming it's not over filled: Top cover gasket installed wrong would be my guess. Or worse, the center is cut out or torn. Tiger & Cobra tunnels do get quite hot enough for fluid expansion, but they need splash access to expel the gear oil.
Not overfilled... I don't know how you could anyway.... the gear oil should be at the bottom thread of the fill plug.. I would assume that the cover gasket hole should NOT align with the hole in the metal cover??

Warren

Gold forum user
When I talked with the owner of Paradise Wheels he said and showed me a breather he added to top loaders to help stop their leaking out the vent. Sorry it's been 10 years so I can't describe it further..
If the gasket does not have a hole how can the vent be functional? On my survey of two there I'd say ho yes der b a ho ,:)

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
When I talked with the owner of Paradise Wheels he said and showed me a breather he added to top loaders to help stop their leaking out the vent. Sorry it's been 10 years so I can't describe it further..
If the gasket does not have a hole how can the vent be functional? On my survey of two there I'd say ho yes der b a ho ,:)
if you happen to remember, give me a heads up! I'm guessing that he added a vent in the tailshaft housing near the flange where it bolts to the main case. That way it'd be away from the main supply of gear oil but would still vent through the mainshaft bearing...

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The real gasket has a hole, yes. It is designed not to line up with the vent hole, yes. The Cobras had a small pipe fitting welded to the hole in the cover at a snug 90 degrees forward and then rubber tube plumbed up to the top of the firewall into a small puke can. PITA to work on . . . . . .

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I imagi
The real gasket has a hole, yes. It is designed not to line up with the vent hole, yes. The Cobras had a small pipe fitting welded to the hole in the cover at a snug 90 degrees forward and then rubber tube plumbed up to the top of the firewall into a small puke can. PITA to work on . . . . . .
I imagine so!

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I had mine upside down last week and oil came freely out the vent. When installing the yoke into the new seal I could feel a pressure build up that took a while to dissipate, so the vent is not that great, and seal is great, but still leaks when upside down.
Gord has a plumbed 90 degree vent in his race car

None of this explains your problem.................

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I had mine upside down last week and oil came freely out the vent. When installing the yoke into the new seal I could feel a pressure build up that took a while to dissipate, so the vent is not that great, and seal is great, but still leaks when upside down.
Gord has a plumbed 90 degree vent in his race car

None of this explains your problem.................
I don't think that the vent is very well placed. It may just be that it's due to the way the car sits.. the rear ride height is higher than my personal car.. in any event, I had an old Jaguar gearbox vent fitting that is threaded 1/8" BSP and I installed it right behind the flange on the tailshaft housing... There is very little oil there, but as you found when fitting the drive shaft there is continuity for air travel. It could be that this car has fairly soft rear springs and what actually forcing the fluid out is the driveshaft moving in and out...

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I don't think that the vent is very well placed. It may just be that it's due to the way the car sits.. the rear ride height is higher than my personal car.. in any event, I had an old Jaguar gearbox vent fitting that is threaded 1/8" BSP and I installed it right behind the flange on the tailshaft housing... There is very little oil there, but as you found when fitting the drive shaft there is continuity for air travel. It could be that this car has fairly soft rear springs and what actually forcing the fluid out is the driveshaft moving in and out...
Now that makes sense , acting like a piston pump

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Would fitting stiffer shocks compensate for soft springs and reduce the amount of in / out of the driveshaft therefore less pressure needed to be vented from the gearbox and less oil puking

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Would fitting stiffer shocks compensate for soft springs and reduce the amount of in / out of the driveshaft therefore less pressure needed to be vented from the gearbox and less oil puking
that'd be one way, another would be radius arms. I'm using both Koni's and radius arms (traction bars)... and yes, I still have the panhard rod in place. I have suspension travel, which is important if the car is going to handle worth a damn, but the suspension is set pretty stiff. I have Koni's in the front as well. They're all adjustable, just a royal pain to do it!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Now that makes sense , acting like a piston pump
Here's my solution... Jaguar vent assy. It has an internal washer which stops fluid, but will allow air by. Kind of like a miniature PCV valve w/o the vacuum. It has a larger vent hole as well. As there is little oil in the tailshaft housing, and that's the source of the problem, I mounted it as close to the flange as possible.

P9161007.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The trans is no different than the rear end of the car. If the drive axle doesn't have a vent you'll find that the gears basically act as a hydraulic pump. The movement of the oil builds pressure in the housing and the pressure vents thru the path of least resistance. If there is no vent on a drive axle you'll find it usually blows thru the axle seals. The gears in the trans are constantly moving the oil and building pressure. The pressure vents thru the path of least resistance. That could be a weak or loose gasket or a marginal condition seal. I know of one Sunbeam running in SVRA that the rear axle vent had to be plugged off to allow the use of the rear sway bar. The axle seals starting leaking after several laps.

Last edited:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's my solution... Jaguar vent assy. It has an internal washer which stops fluid, but will allow air by. Kind of like a miniature PCV valve w/o the vacuum. It has a larger vent hole as well. As there is little oil in the tailshaft housing, and that's the source of the problem, I mounted it as close to the flange as possible.

View attachment 16095
Sean. Do you know a way to stop the leak out the top without removing the engine/transmission?
I was thinking of adding a breather like you have to the fill port. I would add height to the fill port with pipe and finish with the breather. Thoughts?

Last edited: