weird gearbox issue

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Sean. Do you know a way to stop the leak out the top without removing the engine/transmission?
I was thinking of adding a breather like you have to the fill port. I would add height to the fill port with pipe and finish with the breather. Thoughts?
no way to get at it. even with the trans mount removed it won't drop enough for access to the top of the gearbox. ideally you want the vent on the top of the gearbox as far away from the gear oil as possible.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I agree, but removing the engine does not excite me for a small gearbox drip.
However, I am determining if I have an engine rear main seal leak, which I replaced when I rebuilt the engine.
I just eliminated that it was the intake manifold and I fixed a left bank valve cover leak with a new Felpro silicone gasket. I used rubber valve cover gaskets from ? and they leaked new. Bummer, and the alloy valve cover may look good, but what a pain with clearance!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I agree, but removing the engine does not excite me for a small gearbox drip.
However, I am determining if I have an engine rear main seal leak, which I replaced when I rebuilt the engine.
I just eliminated that it was the intake manifold and I fixed a left bank valve cover leak with a new Felpro silicone gasket. I used rubber valve cover gaskets from ? and they leaked new. Bummer, and the alloy valve cover may look good, but what a pain with clearance!
I don't think anything in the engine bay is easy!

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I blog in the Lotus Europa world. When I hear them griping about a Lotus, I think about how much worse it could be.šŸ˜Š