Aftermarket Hood/Scoop Options

Mike Armstrong

Bronze forum user
To my eye one of the things I really like about the SV body style is how well a hood scoop looks on it. It's that combination of wide mouth grill and long low profile hood scoop that just screams sports car power to me. I know aftermarket LAT type hoods can be purchased, as can scoops and custom hoods can be made. My preference would be scoop only and no vents, just looks cleaner to my eye.

What have any of you done for an aftermarket hood/scoop?

Mike

Mike Armstrong

Bronze forum user
Hi Duke.

I've seen pictures of hoods with only a scoop and no 'obvious' vents. Either the scoops are non-functional for looks only or perhaps the ducting is being done under the hood.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Hi Duke.

I've seen pictures of hoods with only a scoop and no 'obvious' vents. Either the scoops are non-functional for looks only or perhaps the ducting is being done under the hood.

Ya gotta get the air out or the scoop is usless. Fender vents or hood vents is about the only way.

Look at a Cobra, no hood vents but they do have fender events. One or the other.

Warren

Gold forum user
Our Pal and O/T

Cobrakidz has only a riveted on Cobra style scoop and claims to have the car dialed in and running fine. Like my LAT hood but you have to not mind it flapping about. Kinda like the fiberglass fender on the old Baja Bug. I know why guys use hood pins.

One could also argue after childbirth and baby feeding, boobs are useless, but they still are like the old saying of Confucious," panties are not sweetest thing in world but close to it."...

If you like it scoop it, hoods are one of the cheapest spares readily available for the Tiger, have fun with the sawzall or jig saw, unless it is a round corner hood.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Mike,

I've always enjoyed the look of those long sleek hoods about a half of the cars total length. The driver / passenger seats in the 3rd quarter and the wheels and boot making up the last quarter. Classic looking sports car there! Why mess it up with a scoop? Just something else to clean around too.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze forum user
Mike,

I've always enjoyed the look of those long sleek hoods about a half of the cars total length. The driver / passenger seats in the 3rd quarter and the wheels and boot making up the last quarter. Classic looking sports car there! Why mess it up with a scoop? Just something else to clean around too.

Hi Justin.

In my mind your describing an Austin Healey 3000 to a tee, one of my favorite cars and yes, classic British sprts car styling. But I still love what a tasteful hood scoop does for a Series V body, I'll take care of the extra cleaning.

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hood scoop options

I still miss my Healey 3000 and it's beautiful long hood...it had a 327 lurking below. I'm contemplating modifying my tigers hood with a long LAT style scoop with fender vents ala Fraser tiger. My fingers are itching for the planishing hammer and English wheel....

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Duke..

Thank you.....the car arrived here at 7 pm on the 13th and was front and center for the Concours on the Avenue in Carmel on the 14th and did really well. Was at the Baja Cantina show on the 16th and now at Laguna Seca thru the weekend. The Temec TKO is so cool and works so much beyond my expectations...give me the weekend at the races and then I will post pictures

Moondoggie

dude234

Gold forum user
"This works really well......."

Where did you get the hood scoop? Is that a slot in the hood on the drivers side?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke..

Thank you.....the car arrived here at 7 pm on the 13th and was front and center for the Concours on the Avenue in Carmel on the 14th and did really well. Was at the Baja Cantina show on the 16th and now at Laguna Seca thru the weekend. The Temec TKO is so cool and works so much beyond my expectations...give me the weekend at the races and then I will post pictures

Moondoggie

Great that you made the deadline.. and looks great.. the HSC style bonnet is sweet.. very bespoke. Some report on the shift feel of the 'box would be good to.

Also.. are they 15" or 16" panasport wheels? they look large :eek:

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Scoop and hood vents

Hey Moondoggie
I just got a closer look at your scoop and vents...the vents look like a very clean solution! I like that layout better than the LAT vents.
Can you post a closer look?
I'd like to duplicate them on my car.
Thanks
Bill

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bill,

Ifd you go to the TKO gearbox thread there are a couple of pics of the car and one of the underside of the bonnet. It's based of the HSC55 cars setup.. which led to the LAT bonnet.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I ended up using a Cobra scoop from Tony Branda and having LAT style vents made in the back of the hood----works very well.

*****the color looks different in this pic********
2mh7z7t.jpg

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
"This works really well......."

Where did you get the hood scoop? Is that a slot in the hood on the drivers side?

You can get a better look at the hood if you go to the events & show section
and look under Monterey Historic pictures-Tiger the second picture is my Tiger
and the hood. The scoop is a metal copy of the Lat 20 hood scoop and it was
fabricated by Stavros Pardini. I'll try to post some close pictures later on tonight as I am still digging out from a very busy week of car stuff here in Carmel.

Moondoggie

Socorob

Bronze forum user
With the windshield so upright on the sunbeam and those vents close to the middle wouldn't that be a high pressure area on te hood and possibly have air going into it at higher speeds instead of out? I think that's why they moved them on the LAT hoods.