Aftermarket Hood/Scoop Options

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Haven't seen this car before but this pic is from an event not far from here in 2009... would like to see a closed hood shot

Jim
B382000446

that car looks like this one, i think it was resto'ed maybe in 2010? I know a few people that have seen it.. apparently sports a stroker and some big brakes

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
that car looks like this one, i think it was resto'ed maybe in 2010? I know a few people that have seen it.. apparently sports a stroker and some big brakes

Hey, I know that car, and its owner. I can vouch for the big brakes. I never thought to ask if the engine was stroked or not. It also has flared fenders, Miata high-back seats and a T5. Personally, I think I'd want something more subtle than those vents. But that's just me.

Has anyone ever thought about "gills", as on the Shelby Cobra?

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Everyone else is showing off there hood, so shall I.

Mine is a bonnet though :p ;)

009_zps3cff4d66.jpg

007_zpsbe1e4c45.jpg

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hey, I know that car, and its owner. I can vouch for the big brakes. I never thought to ask if the engine was stroked or not. It also has flared fenders, Miata high-back seats and a T5. Personally, I think I'd want something more subtle than those vents. But that's just me.

Has anyone ever thought about "gills", as on the Shelby Cobra?

The cobra style gills were a LAT option, there was a list member Don Robertson repro'ing them a few years ago.

Alex Gabbard has some: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23056599@N00/6272670565/sizes/l/in/photostream/

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The hollywood sports car Tiger used side vents:
7mh025%2055%20Crew%20at%20Pit%20Wall.JPG

as did the Fraser Monster tiger:
sunbeam%20tiger%20289%20fraser..JPG

and works rally tigers:
std_1964_sunbeam_tiger.jpg

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is a way to extract heat without adding any scoops, vents or louvers- with a completely stock hood- yes, it's possible- with a 'slightly sprung' hood! The only requirement is the previous owner having had a minor 'front end adjustment'!

6qa0pz.jpg
[/IMG]

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
A few Tigers ago I raised the hood latch so the hood was up a little in the rear when latched--sure cured the heating problem.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
It was many years ago (circa 1987), but I remember going to a Tiger club meeting in Austin, TX that summer. A guy there had recently finished restoring his Tiger. As I remember it, he modified the hood so that its trailing edge had a very narrow (3/4 in), full width, extractor scoop built in. It was quite subtle, and according to him, quite effective. The car was light blue.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
except the engine is in the back of the car... !! :p :eek:

Michael, this is no time to get technical! The factory hood gap on the Bugatti has always been somewhat of a puzzle to me- a car that expensive with a hood fit like that:confused:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael, this is no time to get technical! The factory hood gap on the Bugatti has always been somewhat of a puzzle to me- a car that expensive with a hood fit like that:confused:

Maybe the photo is taken when its doing it 240+ mph and the bonnet is deflecting? :p

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Tiger tamer:

I read your restoration thread but didn't see where you sourced your bonnet vents from (I'm in the UK at the moment, so I can say bonnet). Are they custom made or from another car? Once again, outstanding work.

Regards,
John.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
They are from a Honda. The front panel with the chin spoiler is fron the same car. The bulge is off a ute. I will have to ask the tin basher what models they came from and post the info up.

Cheers

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Approach I took...

I didn't mention it in my original posting, but one of the benefits of the approach I took has to do with "rain." Not that my Tiger sees that much of it now days, but it has on occasion. By taking the approach I did, any rain (or water) that enters the vents is contained by the inner channel (it does not fall into the engine compartment). You'll notice that the "exit" holes I drilled in the channel are on the inboard side of the channel on each side.

The water that enters the vents flows down the outside edge of the channel, as the inboard side is higher... that is, the channel slopes down to each side. Then, it exits at the factory drain holes at the front of the channel, etc.

Not a big deal... but some of the "open vent" cars shown in photos would definitely let water drop on the engine. Yes, I still have not addressed the water that might enter at the front of the hood scoop. But, I have a plan to design and build a housing that would seal the air intake to the hood and direct the water into tubes extending to the bottom of the engine compartment. Similar to the approach Ford took on the Boss 302, etc back in the day.

Bill

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Ugly

"The big Scoop!"

Probably works because it far enough forward with a chance for the pressure differential needed to actually work. That is air flow from outside to go inside is more probable than with a low scoop in middle of hood.