Aftermarket Hood/Scoop Options

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Air Pressure

With the windshield so upright on the sunbeam and those vents close to the middle wouldn't that be a high pressure area on te hood and possibly have air going into it at higher speeds instead of out? I think that's why they moved them on the LAT hoods.

The LAT position of the "out" vents scavenges the air to the sides and away from the fresh air boxes so you don't melt your sneakers. Ages ago, when our racing scoop faced backwards, we always had to tape over the fresh air vents.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Sorry, I couldn't resist...and no, I'm not an artist. LOL

Color here looks mighty fine to me.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I'm starting to get caught up from last week ! Here are some pictures of
the hood and this hood is as close to the HSC hood as possible. The leading edge of the horizontal vents are flared up to create a low pressure zone right over the vent to aid hot air flow. This configuration works extremely well for a Mk 1 Tiger without fresh air vents as Randy has already pointed out.On the underside of the vents there is a scoop to direct hot air up and out of the engine compartment. I am still sorting out Dales front end on the car but I can tell you the hood works all the way up 125 mph so far.........!!!

Moondoggie

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the pics Moondoggie.
The detail is really helpful, can't wait to start fabbing.
On another note how is Dale's suspension working out?
What type of brakes are you using?
I'm thinking of what I'll have to buy my wife to make the suspension purchase look minor!
Bill

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Bill,

Here are a couple of pictures of Dales front end installed....Two of the best
mod's I have made to the Tiger are the Front end and TKO 600 and they have transformed a clunky old british sports car into a first class sports car to drive.
Everything about the steering is changed for the better and it's night and day
from stock..easy to turn,better turning radius, ride height adjustments and camber adjustments are first class. I have the new six piston wilwood calipers on hudge vented rotors that fit 16" wheels +. We only had enough time to get the set up close for last week so it still needs to go to Custom Alignment for a full set up and corner weight dial in.

Moondoggie

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
The scoop I bought from Tony Branda, it's their 427 Cobra scoop. The vents I had a fab shop make for me in metal but they are the same size as the LAT options.

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Moondoggie
Thanks for confirming what most of us figured must be a good solution to the tiger 's challenges.
Damn now I have to have it too!!

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
The scoop looks like a factory unit from some other car--I like it. Also liked the small flares.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's one i hadn't seen before, and i think like it. Need to see it from different angles though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZp8v8QUb3U&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I think this is a 'still' pic of that same scoop.... I've been collecting pics of different Tiger scoops from the net for a while and am still debating on installing one as I'm not sure if it will actually achieve the desired results.... I DID decide to graft in a couple of vents from a TR7 on my 'spare' hood after being inspired by what Mal did to his NZ car... I also like the 'power' bulge that he has. Here's a pic of the test fit.. they're now installed and are flush with the top of the hood. They're equivalent to about a 5 1/4" x 5 1/4" square hole per side...

Jim
B382000446

tgrrr

Silver forum user
I prefer a scoop that inducts air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The approach I took...

I took a different approach when I restored my Mark II a number of years ago. I kept the stock hood (repainted when the rest of the car was done) and bought a Series V hood to play with. I've posted a few photos of the work I did to fashion a hood with a scoop and some "vents" in the upper right and left that follow the contour of the "frame" that provides the under-structure of the hood.

The pictures pretty much show what I did, including cutting some holes in the under frame to permit increased flow back to the vents. When I got it on the road, I attached (taped) some short yarn strands to the back of the vents to confirm that the yarn dragged away from the hood (to the back). Never had a cooling problem (run a '86 5.0 with roller cam... actually a Ford crate motor called the "RHO" back in the day). Runs cool with a Fluidyne aluminum radiator, closed-off horn openings and the suggested mods to close up the lower open space beneath the radiator.

Might not appeal to everyone, but I'm happy with it... and still have the stock hood for when I sell.

For the scoop I used a reproduction GT350 fiberglass scoop... but trimmed the front back a couple of inches before installing it. Riveted and epoxied (fiberglassed) to the hood.

Regards,

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

tigerhood1.jpg

tigerhood2.jpg

tigerhood3.jpg

tigerhood4.jpg

b382100437tacevent80109.jpg

img07672.jpg

img3872jpg.jpg

AshUK

Silver forum user
Your car sits nicely Bill.

What size wheels and tyres are you running and have you lowered the suspension at all?

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Your car sits nicely Bill. What size wheels and tyres are you running and have you lowered the suspension at all?

Thanks, I originally thought I'd want to lower it but it seemed to come out OK "as is." The suspension is stock. Fronts are 195/60HR14 and rears are 205/60HR14 (the Panasports are wider in rear).

Bill

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Thats a bit too form over function for me.

I like Bill's letterbox idea. Looks good.

Ya... it's nice and neat... About the only thing more 'functional' than my pic above would be just 2 big holes!:eek: It might be a little more subtle with the hood down but every time I look at it I think 'batcave' :rolleyes:

Jim
B382000446