Insurance quotes

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
So... I sent queries to Hagarty, Grundy and Heacock.. for insurance on my Tiger Mk2 based on a valuation of $135K. Hagarty and Grundy were within a dollar at just over $1025. Heacock's bid was $624. Until I talked to them today. They dropped the premium today to $325... Agreed valuation of $135K, same limits as the others. The only difference is that Heacock has a $2500 deductible. They said, in addition to the deductible, they were taking into account that I was 62, married for 38 years and a homeowner with no mortgage...

I haven't ever had an at fault accident and haven't had a speeding ticket since I was 17... My wife says that's not fair!!

It's quite a difference in premium.. like $700.. I wondered what experience others have had. I have used Heacock in the past and never had any problems, but the massive difference in premiums makes me wonder....

I made sure that they understood... this is a Mk2 Tiger... NOT an Alpine

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I went with AAA, since my house and other cars are insured by them. We agreed on $50K (a few years ago). Costs me about $200/year. Mileage limit of 2500 miles.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
So... I sent queries to Hagarty, Grundy and Heacock.. for insurance on my Tiger Mk2 based on a valuation of $135K. Hagarty and Grundy were within a dollar at just over $1025. Heacock's bid was $624. Until I talked to them today. They dropped the premium today to $325... Agreed valuation of $135K, same limits as the others. The only difference is that Heacock has a $2500 deductible. They said, in addition to the deductible, they were taking into account that I was 62, married for 38 years and a homeowner with no mortgage...

I haven't ever had an at fault accident and haven't had a speeding ticket since I was 17... My wife says that's not fair!!

It's quite a difference in premium.. like $700.. I wondered what experience others have had. I have used Heacock in the past and never had any problems, but the massive difference in premiums makes me wonder....

Sean is that rate for 6 months or a year ?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So... I sent queries to Hagarty, Grundy and Heacock.. for insurance on my Tiger Mk2 based on a valuation of $135K.
Is that USD or CND?

I've seen the photos of your beautifully restored MKII .. and it's a fresh resto.... Given all the talk.of values.. id put your car at the top of the tier of Sunbeams ..which makes some people's value expectations interesting

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Our Hagerty agent applies for agreed value based on the quality of the restoration as well as the rarity of the car. That includes submitting photos and other documentation of the car. When you insure a car with Hagerty you have what I would call normal rates for the first car. As you add additional cars the cost for all aspects of the coverage is lowered. We have two Alpines with Harrington conversions that have identical agreed values, two Alpines and the 69 GT. I've finished the restoration of a low mileage, rust free conversion van that I've had for 30+ years and due to the age of it I was able to get historical tags and Hagerty insured it with an agreed value and full coverage for an additional $60 dollars per year. We have the Hagerty driving club and towing and also coverage of 20K for my NOS and spare parts. The premium for this coverage on the cars as well as everything else comes due in August and the total premium will fall in the range of $1400. The van is the lowest agreed coverage.

107_0339.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Is that USD or CND?

I've seen the photos of your beautifully restored MKII .. and it's a fresh resto.... Given all the talk.of values.. id put your car at the top of the tier of Sunbeams ..which makes some people's value expectations interesting
$135K USD. The valuation was based on the most recent auction results. part of the issue is that I live in the middle of nowhere and there really isn't anyone who could do an accurate valuation... bedsides me! I have to think it's worth more that we've agreed on... of course I thought that the Mk1a prototype I restored about 4 years ago was worth substantially more than it eventually sold for. The market is a strange thing. I do know what it would cost to do again.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
$135K USD. The valuation was based on the most recent auction results. part of the issue is that I live in the middle of nowhere and there really isn't anyone who could do an accurate valuation... bedsides me! I have to think it's worth more that we've agreed on... of course I thought that the Mk1a prototype I restored about 4 years ago was worth substantially more than it eventually sold for. The market is a strange thing. I do know what it would cost to do again.
My invoice for renewal in August of the six cars was in the mail today. Total agreed value of the cars is just shy of double what you're wanting on the Tiger. The current invoice is $1152.00.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Hagerty policy has zero deductible on collision and zero deductible on other coverage. This applies to all six cars. I also have zero deductible on my parts coverage. Members of TE/AE get a 5% rate discount thru Hagerty. The $1152 includes $175.00 for the Hagerty Drivers Club premium. The actual policy amount is $977.00 per year.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My Mk 1 is Insured for NZ $165,000 agreed value (US$101,000) and the premium is NZ$400 per year (US$245) . My total insurance Bill for my 1910 Hupmobile ' 1930 Model A , 1934 Ford Fordor ,1967 Series V Alpine and The Tiger is less than NZ$ 1200 per annum ( US$ 736 ) . Before you all sell up and move to New Zealand bear in mind that second hand parts suppy is virtually zero and 5 soft top clips (Thanks Sean) that I shipped from my forwarding address in California cost me US$75 in postage Furthermore the price of gas today (after the Government reinstated the tax they took of last year to give us a COVID break ) is US$6.57 per US gallon !!

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
My Mk 1 is Insured for NZ $165,000 agreed value (US$101,000) and the premium is NZ$400 per year (US$245) . My total insurance Bill for my 1910 Hupmobile ' 1930 Model A , 1934 Ford Fordor ,1967 Series V Alpine and The Tiger is less than NZ$ 1200 per annum ( US$ 736 ) . Before you all sell up and move to New Zealand bear in mind that second hand parts suppy is virtually zero and 5 soft top clips (Thanks Sean) that I shipped from my forwarding address in California cost me US$75 in postage Furthermore the price of gas today (after the Goverment reinstated the tax they took of last year to give us a COVID break ) is US$6.57 per US gallon !!
$5 a gallon here in NE Bumfuckistan... (Okanogan, Wa.)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Mk 1 is Insured for NZ $165,000 agreed value (US$101,000) and the premium is NZ$400 per year (US$245) . My total insurance Bill for my 1910 Hupmobile ' 1930 Model A , 1934 Ford Fordor ,1967 Series V Alpine and The Tiger is less than NZ$ 1200 per annum ( US$ 736 ) . Before you all sell up and move to New Zealand bear in mind that second hand parts suppy is virtually zero and 5 soft top clips (Thanks Sean) that I shipped from my forwarding address in California cost me US$75 in postage Furthermore the price of gas today (after the Government reinstated the tax they took of last year to give us a COVID break ) is US$6.57 per US gallon !!
Sam's club is $3.16 per gal, Walmart is $3.19 per gal. BP's are $3.23 but if you use your BP credit card the pump automatically reduces your cost per gal by 15 cents. That brings you to $3.08.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Sam's club is $3.16 per gal, Walmart is $3.19 per gal. BP's are $3.23 but if you use your BP credit card the pump automatically reduces your cost per gal by 15 cents. That brings you to $3.08.
in Ohio... Washington prices are between $4.71 to $5.50 depending on where in the state you are. Willing to bet California is even higher. It varies wildly across the country.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I was just in Seattle and prices there are currently about 20 cents more per gallon than in The LA area.

Our gas USED to be much cheaper than many places overseas.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
in Ohio... Washington prices are between $4.71 to $5.50 depending on where in the state you are. Willing to bet California is even higher. It varies wildly across the country.
Every state varies on state excise tax. Some states have very low road tax per gal and some are extremely high. That makes a lot of difference on price per gal at the pump.. Your state currently ranks #3 in the nation with the tax being 95 cents per gal. With your next increase of 46 cents Washington is expected to be #1. Ohio is 38.5 cents per gal. Federal tax is 18.4 in every state. You also have to figure freight charge based on distance hauled, etc. California is 50.4 cents per gal. Pennsylvania has the highest state fuel excise tax. Most places selling gas have posted pricing based on OPIS (oil price information service) which is the average price per gal for the previous week based on the padd or location where you are.

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Every state varies on state excise tax. Some states have very low road tax per gal and some are extremely high. That makes a lot of difference on price per gal at the pump.. Your state currently ranks #3 in the nation with the tax being 95 cents per gal. With your next increase of 46 cents Washington is expected to be #1. Ohio is 38.5 cents per gal. Federal tax is 18.4 in every state. You also have to figure freight charge based on distance hauled, etc. California is 50.4 cents per gal. Pennsylvania has the highest state fuel excise tax. Most places selling gas have posted pricing based on OPIS (oil price information service) which is the average price per gal for the previous week based on the padd or location where you are.
47.2 cents a gallon in Washington... Clearly posted on the pumps. But they are trying to change to a fee for every mile driven due to EV's.... Me thinks a lot of older cars are simply going to get their odometers disconnected.... I use a Garmin for a GPS speedo, "cables, we don't need no stinkin' speedo cables" apologies to the cast of Sierra Madre!!!

No gas station in Washington posts opis information... if they did, there would be a revolt...

Last edited:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just drove up the entire east cost from Florida to Maine. $3.25 - $3.75 /gal.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
47.2 cents a gallon in Washington... Clearly posted on the pumps. But they are trying to change to a fee for every mile driven due to EV's.... Me thinks a lot of older cars are simply going to get their odometers disconnected.... I use a Garmin for a GPS speedo, "cables, we don't need no stinkin' speedo cables" apologies to the cast of Sierra Madre!!!

No gas station in Washington posts opis information... if they did, there would be a revolt...
The Washington tax was supposed to have changed in March of this year. Without a doubt the tax on EV's is going to vary from state to state but many states are considering a flat average tax based on the number of EV's registered in the state. Texas already has passed a bill and signed into law to put a yearly tax on EV's. I'm in my fourth decade of being in the business and just when you think you've got it figured out the state or federal government will make a change to something.