Insurance quotes

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
must be a West coast issue....
No, it's a coast issue. Look at these average cost of gas as of today. Midwest pricing is the lowest but look as you move towards the east coast unless you're looking at areas under gulf coast pricing.

Seattle $5.03
Los Angeles $4.86
Denver $3.72
St. Louis $3.30
Columbus $3.42
Philadelphia $3.67
New York $4.10
Charleston S.C. $3.17 ( gulf coast pricing)

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
$5 a gallon here in NE Bumfuckistan... (Okanogan, Wa.)
Just topped up the Lightning yesterday, she likes her Premium. I know it’s Canadian dollhair”s, at $2.27 point 9 a LITRE, equals 4.55 litres to the Imperial gallon, which translates to $10.32 per Imperial gallon, here in Victoria, BC. For a U.S gallon is 3.79 litres which equals out to $8.60 Canadian, eh. We get to grab our ankles a lot here.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Just topped up the Lightning yesterday, she likes her Premium. I know it’s Canadian dollhair”s, at $2.27 point 9 a LITRE, equals 4.55 litres to the Imperial gallon, which translates to $10.32 per Imperial gallon, here in Victoria, BC. For a U.S gallon is 3.79 litres which equals out to $8.60 Canadian, eh. We get to grab our ankles a lot here.
So the Canadians spell litre the same way as the British? Try typing it in on this forum and it spell corrects to the American spelling liter. Like so many words the Americans had to change 😮

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What octane are you referring to when you say Premium? There are a few stores here that carry 92 or 93 but they are few and far between. Most carry 87 and 89 only.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What octane are you referring to when you say Premium? There are a few stores here that carry 92 or 93 but they are few and far between. Most carry 87 and 89 only.
Premium is the highest octane rating what we can find here at the Shell/Chevron. Pump says 93 octane and that’s what I’m referring to. It went as high as $2.56 a Litre last summer, well… because they can. Thursday or Friday specifically before a long weekend the price goes up and then falls down to pre- hike levels on Sunday night or sometime Monday. Tony Butler, yes we spell words like litre, centre, colour, favour, fibre etc; but also borrow words from American spelling also just so it’s really confusing. Both imperial and metric system are in play here depending on what you’re doing.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Premium is the highest octane rating what we can find here at the Shell/Chevron. Pump says 93 octane and that’s what I’m referring to. It went as high as $2.56 a Litre last summer, well… because they can. Thursday or Friday specifically before a long weekend the price goes up and then falls down to pre- hike levels on Sunday night or sometime Monday. Tony Butler, yes we spell words like litre, centre, colour, favour, fibre etc; but also borrow words from American spelling also just so it’s really confusing. Both imperial and metric system are in play here depending on what you’re doing.
The retail outlets are not operated by the oil companies. The fuel business is a complicated business.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Brian what you mean is you spell them correctly LOL -Karl

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
And your "Bacon" is really ham. :rolleyes: ;)

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Speaking about insurance rates, we have a Province assigned auto insurer (ICBC, Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) with only a portion being covered by a private company of our choosing. My 2001 Ford Lightning which is my daily driver, costs approximately $1000 per year with the regular coverage. My Tiger is also insured with ICBC because it has to be. In order to get proper coverage it is advised to have the car appraised ( different license plate called a Collector plate for Collector cars) by a “recognized“ ICBC appraiser. This is perhaps one break we get, an appraisal costs $250-$300, and is good for 2 years and then the condition is reassessed . If something should happen to your car, this appraisal company will go to bat for you to let ICBC know that this car with VIN # xxxxxxxx is valued at $XXXXXX. A repair or payout is the selected. ICBC charges me for full coverage for a calendar year $250. I had been contacted by Hagerty and Grundy with figures 10 times that amount or more for the same calendar year. ICBC actually makes money on this low rate because when you have your baby out for a drive, your 99% pretty careful where you go and what your doing - hence no or very little claims. You can drive with this coverage every day 365 days a year if you like.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Kind of amusing.... when I brought my Mk2 out of Canada, they wanted my ICBC info... and threatened to turn me back because I didn't have it... It was only when I talked to the customs agent's superior and told him the car came from Ontario, and last I checked, Ontario was NOT in British Columbia that they let me across.... that and the car hadn't been registered since 1975.... I had to pay a 2.5% duty on the car. ($162.50 I think) and that was it. I had more trouble with the Washington DOL getting a title as they refused to believe the sale price even though I had a notarized bill of sale from a Canadian provincial office and bank copies of the funds transfers. In the end I prevailed, I was required to get a valuation from a dealer. I happen to be friends with a salesman at the local Ford Dealer. He wrote me a valuation for what I paid ($6500.00) on company letterhead. The DOL were mighty pissed, but I won the day! They wanted to charge me tax based on a $25K minimum value. I now have a title and collector plates, meaning no tab requirement or yearly fees.

Both Hagerty and Grundy wanted a touch over $1020 to insure my car for a year. Heacock won the day at $549... I can live with a $1000 deductible

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Kind of amusing.... when I brought my Mk2 out of Canada, they wanted my ICBC info... and threatened to turn me back because I didn't have it... It was only when I talked to the customs agent's superior and told him the car came from Ontario, and last I checked, Ontario was NOT in British Columbia that they let me across.... that and the car hadn't been registered since 1975.... I had to pay a 2.5% duty on the car. ($162.50 I think) and that was it. I had more trouble with the Washington DOL getting a title as they refused to believe the sale price even though I had a notarized bill of sale from a Canadian provincial office and bank copies of the funds transfers. In the end I prevailed, I was required to get a valuation from a dealer. I happen to be friends with a salesman at the local Ford Dealer. He wrote me a valuation for what I paid ($6500.00) on company letterhead. The DOL were mighty pissed, but I won the day! They wanted to charge me tax based on a $25K minimum value. I now have a title and collector plates, meaning no tab requirement or yearly fees.

Both Hagerty and Grundy wanted a touch over $1020 to insure my car for a year. Heacock won the day at $549... I can live with a $1000 deductible
It sounds like a bureaucratic night mare. We don't have to prove we have insurance coverage when we pay our yearly registration fee.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Insurance is required in Washington state
Auto insurance is required here also. It's just that if you go to the local BMV office to renew for the year, they just ask if you have insurance. They don't ask for documentation. The same goes for doing your yearly registration on line or by phone. If you have insurance then the policy also has coverage for "uninsured motorists". There is a type of bonding that is available if you don't want a conventional insurance policy. We don't have yearly vehicle inspections of any kind.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think compulsory insurance is a good thing-Having been involved accidents were the other party, who was at fault, had no insurance and No money !
That's why all auto insurance in Ohio has coverage that is called "uninsured motorist".

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My insurance would and did cover the damage caused by the uninsured driver-But of course there are no free lunches and ultimately those of us that pay insurance end up paying more to cover the damage caused by uninsured drivers. If every one was insured the risk would be spread further and our premiums would be much cheaper

grelley

Silver forum user
Agent 861, who are you insured with in New Zealand. I am with Classic Cover and it is $500 for $50K cover, although it is quite modified.