Kens Tiger - B9471532

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have seen multiple comments about never trimming the fan blades. However, the POR 15" is a close fit without trimming, raising the engine, etc. I took my POR 15' fan to a machine shop and they trimmed it. I was somewhat disappointed when I learned that they had used some metal sears to trim the blades. But, I installed the fan and it worked very well, no problemo. I have since gone a different direction with the fan setup, but I wouldn't have any hesitation in trimming the fan blades (at least if it's done carefully). I enjoy your posting of your progress. Cliff

KenF

Gold forum user
SS Exhaust System

Got the SS exhaust system hung. Overall good fit except for the left tailpipe. Clearance through the frame is good, may need a little 'adjusting' later. Both of those sections fit either right or left side, but one fits better than the other. Would be nice if those were labeled.

Seems like the bend below the axle on the left isn't bent quite enough. After aligning everything back to the mufflers, setting the mufflers at the same level and angle, and same distance beneath axle, the left tailpipe wants to naturally hang about 3 inches too low. When bolted up to the rear mount, it pulls the left muffler up and about an inch less distance below the axle than the right side. It bolts up, just the alignment isn't right. Once running I'll let a muffler shop remove tailpipe and adjust. The right side fits perfect.
IMG_4862.JPG
IMG_4864.JPG

KenF

Gold forum user
I was going to start the motor today, but as soon as I put the first half gallon of gas in, I noticed a leak! :mad: Turns out there's a pinhole near the bottom seam of the right tank. I need to check around tomorrow how to have it fixed. Everything else is back together, except the fuel line which I was going to flush out. Also the carb base is missing the vacuum fitting for the distributor, not sure what happened to it, don't remember removing it or noticing it during carb rebuild.
I chickened out on using the wire hose clamps, bought some good ones.
And need to strip, prep, and repaint the air filter pieces since the guy before me painted it black. :rolleyes: Not sure what paint is on the base, looks original, like a greenish gray color. I thought they were hammered gray. Is the base a different color than the top?
IMG_4869.JPG

KenF

Gold forum user
Arrggg!

Well, startup didn't go as I had planned, of course.
  • Drip from "rebuilt" eBay water pump. :mad:
  • Heater control valve dripping. I can expect that. Looking for replacement solution.
  • Engine stops after a few seconds of running, almost as if its not getting gas. :mad:
The coolant drips aren't too bad, just annoying and need to be fixed. I'll probably send the water pump out to DeadNutsOn.

But not getting it to run longer that 5/10 seconds has me frustrated. New SU fuel pump runs at 4 psi and a gallon in 8 minutes. I put glass fuel filter on temporarily so I can see if fuel line crap is getting there (looks clean). I've had the Autolite apart several times to check, all passages blown out and carb cleaner via nozzle shows no obstructions. Emulsifier tubes look good. Accelerator pump works, fuel bowl is at the right level when carb top is removed, tried manually opening choke. Really, there's not much to those 2100's that can be wrong. Engine runs long enough to get the timing close with timing light. At first ran the old points, etc. Changed that out for the Pertronixs unit, changed plug wires, cap, rotor, same result. Tried 12 volts from fuse box to red wire of Pertronix.

Stumped....Need to think about this for awhile. I know, put a 4 barrel on it, right?

Attachments

• IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    648.2 KB · Views: 102

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Swap Parts

Is there anyone close to you with a 2-bbl carb on a car with a running engine? Easy to swap carbs to confirm (or disprove) the carb is the culprit.

Good luck!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Look Everywhere

Chasing Gremlins is an art form. Pull that yellow top and sub in anything else for a quick test.

KenF

Gold forum user
Is there anyone close to you with a 2-bbl carb on a car with a running engine? Easy to swap carbs to confirm (or disprove) the carb is the culprit.

Good luck!

Yeah, that would be nice. If anyone has a rebuildable one laying around they want to part with, let me know (fat chance probably).

Or, if anyone has a rebuildable carb I can rebuild and send back after a couple weeks of testing, I'll pay postage both ways.

I did pick up a rebuilt one from parts store, but don't use it unless a last resort, and return and get my $ back. It looks crappy too, idle jet springs too short, probably vibrate loose, warped accelerator diaphragm plate which will probably leak, bead blasted everywhere with gigantic beads, who knows what else is wrong with it.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yeah, that would be nice. If anyone has a rebuildable one laying around they want to part with, let me know (fat chance probably).

MY suggestion was to install on your car (temporarily) a carb that you unbolted from a running engine so that you KNOW the carb was working fine and is "good". Anything else might be bad and the test would be meaningless. If your engine runs with the "good" carb, you know your carb was the problem. If your engine does not run with the "good" carb, then you know the problem is not your carb.

KenF

Gold forum user
Went and got a 1.5 ohm Flame Thrower coil, ran the same. The longest I've had the engine running is about 10 seconds. Ignition switch checks out fine.
Took the carb apart again. Now soaking the Venturi overnight and try again tomorrow.
Taking the rebuilt carb back, didn't try it, it gives me bad vibes. I've never had any luck with rebuilt carbs.
Found a Hagerty article about a Tiger owner who also tried to rebuild his Autolite carb with no luck, and he ordered a replacement from Amazon.
So, I figure for that cheap (less than half of rebuilt) I'd order one too, at least eliminate the carb as the problem and maybe use if it works.
I just hate putting that motor through that and hoping the cam breaks in okay.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Swapping Parts

This sounds like you are swapping parts with parts, without knowing if the "new" parts are good or not. I would suggest you use parts that are on a running car. Also, you can check you own parts by putting them on someone else's car and see if that car runs. New parts are probably good, but may not be.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just out of interest if running the stock carb is the power valve stuck? We resurrected a sleepimg kitty and the power valve in the carb was jammed and wouldnt allow more than a start and die out... Just a thought.

KenF

Gold forum user
Just out of interest if running the stock carb is the power valve stuck? We resurrected a sleepimg kitty and the power valve in the carb was jammed and wouldnt allow more than a start and die out... Just a thought.

It moves easily, so not stuck. I'll try another one and see what happens.

KenF

Gold forum user
Engine Startup

Okay, got the engine running. :cool: Let it run for 20 minutes and adjusted close enough for now. Running Lucas Break-In oil for a few hundred miles. Still have a slow dripping water pump and heater control valve, so I'll be draining and fixing that soon.

Sunbeam Tiger Startup After Sitting Since 1985

KenF

Gold forum user
Heater Control Valve

So, I'm searching the web for a heater control valve, and come across this Alpine version on ePay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunbeam-Alpine-Heater-Control-Valve-NEW-IMPROVED-/360373981373

Ad says it will not work with Tiger, but it sure looks the same. I figure for 24 bucks I'd take a closer look at it. It sure looks the same, input hose fitting the same size, looks like outlet flange will bolt up.

What's the difference between the Alpine and Tiger heater control valves? Something internal?

Thanks!

IMG_4935.JPG

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not Quite, But

So, I'm searching the web for a heater control valve, and come across this Alpine version on ePay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunbeam-Alpine-Heater-Control-Valve-NEW-IMPROVED-/360373981373

Ad says it will not work with Tiger, but it sure looks the same. I figure for 24 bucks I'd take a closer look at it. It sure looks the same, input hose fitting the same size, looks like outlet flange will bolt up.

What's the difference between the Alpine and Tiger heater control valves? Something internal?

Thanks!

View attachment 11853

There are a couple versions out there that push OPEN and pull CLOSED. Or is it upside backwards ?

Warren

Gold forum user
Rivet

I've removed the rivet and cleaned them out. My old motorcycle pals said they used oil of Wintergreen to rejuvenate old rubber and seals. On my old sailboat soaking the rubber seals in Joy dish soap also lubricated the seals . The early valve worked better for me than the "new and improved," late version. I don't think there is any different between the Alpine and Tiger ones. A British shop owner acquaintance of mine had several he took out of attic storage but apparently they didn't like the heat, but they looked great ;)