Lucky find

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
I just sold a 1972 chevy K10 half ton 4x4 I had a ton of money and work into. I was depressed about selling the truck, but I was offered too much to not let it go. I was looking for a new project and my neighbor across the street had this car in her garage. It belonged to her late husband. It sat un used for 45 years. Im new here. I have a lot to learn. All I can say is its been a dream of mine to have a tiger since I was a young kid. I never thought I would have this opportunity as prices soared past my budget. I picked this one up for 7K. I dont know much, but I am in love with the car and looking forward to the restoration. Last thing...I bought the car on December 19th. If Im not mistaken, the anniversary of the Tiger! I thought that was a strange stroke of luck. I welcome all information and any assistance. As I said, Im here to learn and participate.

66154949138__01A81917-1860-4BF2-89F7-5D274CD2EA00.jpeg
66156248806__34E8925C-9B6C-42AB-9847-DC72495FDCD9.jpeg
IMG_5837.jpeg
IMG_5843.jpeg
IMG_5844.jpeg
IMG_5845.jpeg
IMG_5848.jpeg

IMG_5849.jpeg

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good for you. Enjoy the cleaning and re-build. The knowledge in this group will be very helpful.

KenF

Gold forum user
Nice find! And welcome! You’ve come to the right place for the journey to get it back on the road.
Early VIN number. Color code 19 was “Moonstone.”

Warren

Gold forum user
Awesome how they still keep coming out of hibernation. Any clue as to what parked the car. Always fun , well except for the nube clerks at DMV who have no idea how to deal with an out of system car or title.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great find. Very early car. The Jensen Ledger reports your car completed on June 22, 1964, two days after my car (0033). Your car appears to have the original black dash (first 400 Tigers) and, although hard to see, looks like it has the Borg Warner T-10 transmission, based on the shift lever and knob. Only the first 56 Tigers had the BW T-10.

Be sure to get this car entered into the Tiger registry, very little info about this car in the registry right now. Not sure how you get that done, since the registry has been inactive for a while now, but I am sure someone will post some guidance.

If that is the original engine (and I think it probably is) little is known about the E7KL engine group. Please be sure record all the casting and assembly numbers and date codes.

There are also Facebook pages where you can ask questions and get help. FB pages include…

CAT
Sunbeam Tiger
Tigers East Alpines East

All these pages are pretty active.

Looking forward to seeing this car revived.

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
Great find. Very early car. The Jensen Ledger reports your car completed on June 22, 1964, two days after my car (0033). Your car appears to have the original black dash (first 400 Tigers) and, although hard to see, looks like it has the Borg Warner T-10 transmission, based on the shift lever and knob. Only the first 56 Tigers had the BW T-10.

Be sure to get this car entered into the Tiger registry, very little info about this car in the registry right now. Not sure how you get that done, since the registry has been inactive for a while now, but I am sure someone will post some guidance.

If that is the original engine (and I think it probably is) little is known about the E7KL engine group. Please be sure record all the casting and assembly numbers and date codes.

There are also Facebook pages where you can ask questions and get help. FB pages include…

CAT
Sunbeam Tiger
Tigers East Alpines East

All these pages are pretty active.

Looking forward to seeing this car revived.
Awesome!! Thank you

Warren

Gold forum user
We are actually getting quite well stocked on where to post stuff. There's also the Tigers email list the UK forum STOC. I won't try to list them all but depending upon how you want to keep your information. You can post an album here for registered person's.
Not much word on the registry according to my buddies up North concerning Norm and his registry. Suggest you reach out to Graham in the UK
AKA as the UK registry guy.
HRS121E here. I stalled on the boot with the later wheel trims. I've gotten at least 5 cars and maybe 10 out of system vintage motorcycles back back into California DMV and it's not fun... Thanks for posting.
If you go to conversation add the HRS121E it'll drop Graham an email. Also there's R. Fraser who does an engine survey as well as our own Brian G. The club registration guy. IDR his forum name now tough enuf to remember one name some daze ;)

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As noted a very early car.. In moonstone. Black dash t10 car... Apart from the repaint looks quite original.... Ask lots of questions.. Take lots of photos.. Don't throw anything out

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I am curious about the wheel trim rings that are in the trunk I would imagine that they are the original ones supplied with the car and are the slotted type I read in the BON that the crisscross type were used on all Tigers up to late B382+++++ then the slotted type were used Anyone know the right answer ?

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
Awesome how they still keep coming out of hibernation. Any clue as to what parked the car. Always fun , well except for the nube clerks at DMV who have no idea how to deal with an out of system car or title.
Well... the lady explained that her husband passed away. It was his car. She didn't know and never learned how to drive stick shift. She was afraid of driving it. So, it was parked and never again saw day light. I'm not looking forward to the DMV issues. Last time the car was registered was soon after it was purchased.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Well... the lady explained that her husband passed away. It was his car. She didn't know and never learned how to drive stick shift. She was afraid of driving it. So, it was parked and never again saw day light. I'm not looking forward to the DMV issues. Last time the car was registered was soon after it was purchased.
Treat those black license plates like gold and try to register the car with those plates , they are very collectible !

Warren

Gold forum user
They will try to hand you new plates. If you would like I can splain it to ya.
I have a good mobile vin inspector guy he's in Riverside but it's way easier than hauling the car to the DMV and they've been known to refer you straight to the CHP which can be a pain. I took the Torrance CHP a boat load of data as I last did a correction on a out of system car. If you have the original title that's a good start. Seen several of the cars with that plastic tag SUN65 have that added to the VIN and that's not helpful if you want to avoid the trailer haul to the CHP inspector. It's my understanding that the cross pattern trim rings are early car and guessing the ones in the boot came along later.

KenF

Gold forum user
And a tool roll in the trunk! Hopefully it has all the right pieces in there. (y) 📸

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am curious about the wheel trim rings that are in the trunk I would imagine that they are the original ones supplied with the car and are the slotted type I read in the BON that the crisscross type were used on all Tigers up to late B382+++++ then the slotted type were used Anyone know the right answer ?
Those slotted trims are definitely not original to the car. The early tigers had the cross hatch at least until the transition to the Sv alpine/ mkia toger body.

The cross hatch trims were to identify the tigers from alpines. At the siv alpine they just had a rim chrome trim and hub cap.

The SV alpine did away with the rim trim and as with other rootes cars introduced the slotted wheel trims retained by the hub cap

KenF

Gold forum user
That rear view mirror looks a bit bigger than the normal small convex, and different L / W proportion. Maybe swapped out back in the day.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The mirror arm is factory.. The head isnt. Also aftermarket visors and appears to have a choke installed amd aftermarket lighter.
The car has clearly had some tinkering by the various paint shades... But overall looks decent.

The interior appears to be black with white pipping. Usually they were Scarlett on the early moonstone cars.. But black/white was offered on the white cars too.

That rear view mirror looks a bit bigger than the normal small convex, and different L / W proportion. Maybe swapped out back in the day.
h

HRS121E

Silver forum user
The STC (UK) Registry shows B9470036 as the first Tiger with an LRX FE suffix. I imagine it would have been ordered during the NYC Auto Show
Nowhere as comprehensive as Norm's TIROST, so there are gaps in knowledge. What we have is:

extract.png

GV
B9470010 (AF-6)
B382100633 HRO FE