Lucky find

Warren

Gold forum user
Great reply Graham , it's easy to prompt guys using the share icon purrfect. You can also set a notification on a thread that you are interested in.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Congrats! It looks like a pretty complete car from what we can see in the pictures. If it doesn't have a lot of rust, I would say you did quite well on the purchase.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OneShot

Can you tell me the part number and date code on the distributor. A photo would be really great.

Thanks

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If overall conditions permit, you might consider keeping it as a "survivor" car rather than a restoration. Once you restore it, it losses some of it's originallity and uniqueness. Cliff

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
Agreed. Just thinking of what’s best for the car. I’m leaning towards survivor as well.

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
They will try to hand you new plates. If you would like I can splain it to ya.
I have a good mobile vin inspector guy he's in Riverside but it's way easier than hauling the car to the DMV and they've been known to refer you straight to the CHP which can be a pain. I took the Torrance CHP a boat load of data as I last did a correction on a out of system car. If you have the original title that's a good start. Seen several of the cars with that plastic tag SUN65 have that added to the VIN and that's not helpful if you want to avoid the trailer haul to the CHP inspector. It's my understanding that the cross pattern trim rings are early car and guessing the ones in the boot came along later.
I could most definitely use some help with the DMV process. Any advice would be very welcome. Let me know if you can help.
951 395 69 two seven. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

KenF

Gold forum user
If I were to do it over again, I'd hire a DMV registration service that deals in classic cars. Your car is likely out of the DMV system, so you'll need to get a VIN inspection, and you'll definitely want to keep your old black plates. Usually the people that offer these services have DMV insiders that will make the process simpler, for them. I did it myself, similar situation, and found the DMV youngsters don't know the old car stuff. Luckily found and old timer, and she knew exactly what to do. It took 3-4 trips. It use to be the CHP did the VIN inspection, but both CHP and DMV did their separate inspections on mine. Be sure you keep proof that those plates are/were once assigned to that car before they take your old paperwork.

Ken

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
If I were to do it over again, I'd hire a DMV registration service that deals in classic cars. Your car is likely out of the DMV system, so you'll need to get a VIN inspection, and you'll definitely want to keep your old black plates. Usually the people that offer these services have DMV insiders that will make the process simpler, for them. I did it myself, similar situation, and found the DMV youngsters don't know the old car stuff. Luckily found and old timer, and she knew exactly what to do. It took 3-4 trips. It use to be the CHP did the VIN inspection, but both CHP and DMV did their separate inspections on mine. Be sure you keep proof that those plates are/were once assigned to that car before they take your old paperwork.

Ken
Where can I find a DMV registration service that deals in classic cars?

Warren

Gold forum user
I sent him to Howard Taylor a ex CHP inspector.
Looked at Raul's car today while passing up the I-15.
Nice to see the car and have some young blood in the group. He's gotta shine on the car now.

IMG_20220122_071518_01.jpg

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
I sent him to Howard Taylor a ex CHP inspector.
Looked at Raul's car today while passing up the I-15.
Nice to see the car and have some young blood in the group. He's gotta shine on the car now.

View attachment 14573
Hey, great photo. It was nice to meet you, & a pleasure talking Tiger talk. Hope to be a part of many more.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Raul,

Welcome into the club. CAT has a bunch of great, helpful and knowledgeable people, its one of the best and most helpful car clubs regardless of marque.

Your early car is a great find, maintain the early specific details on it.. Ask lots of questions, dont throw anything away without working out what it is first. Take lots of photos..take your time and enjoy the process

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
Nice car and right across the street. Probably not the first time you saw car
Yes, the garage has always been kept closed. This car was tucked away pretty well. Bought it the very day I laid eyes on it.

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
I
The STC (UK) Registry shows B9470036 as the first Tiger with an LRX FE suffix. I imagine it would have been ordered during the NYC Auto Show
Nowhere as comprehensive as Norm's TIROST, so there are gaps in knowledge. What we have is:

View attachment 14475

GV
B9470010 (AF-6)
B382100633 HRO FE
I wonder what the change was in the LRX FE, if any change at all. It strange they changed the code from FE to LRX FE. Those are my plates, and my VIn# though. Registered to the car thank god. Getting that done here in CA was a challenge.

Tiger Plates.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FE was ford engine. LRX was for L= Left hand drive R = roadster X= non standard.
The X was also applied to all the USA export Alpines.. Iirc had something to do with the lighting requirements. Some markets had SB for sealed beam headlights.

The switch from FE to LRX FE would likely be Rootes brinining all the cars into their standing numbering system.. The early FE cars were largely factory cars, press and test and QA cars. Also this was tbe start of the system of jensen building them

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
FE was ford engine. LRX was for L= Left hand drive R = roadster X= non standard.
The X was also applied to all the USA export Alpines.. Iirc had something to do with the lighting requirements. Some markets had SB for sealed beam headlights.

The switch from FE to LRX FE would likely be Rootes brinining all the cars into their standing numbering system.. The early FE cars were largely factory cars, press and test and QA cars. Also this was tbe start of the system of jensen building them
Wow, I’m both great full and super impressed with your knowledge.