New Member - Atlanta, Ga

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
"MK1a #00001" - New Member - Atlanta, Ga (9-22-12 updated pics)

- Cliff note version -

My name is Doug I am 32 years old for my entire life my uncle has told me he had a Sunbeam Tiger. I had never seen it in person, only heard about this car which was believed to be a myth.

Fast forward to this week. Knowing I am a die hard car guy and have been bugging him for the last 5 years about it my uncle tells me if I want the car I can come pick it up. He purchased the car new, drove it for a few years and then put it in storage. It sat in a Tx storage building for 39 years.. hence why I never saw the thing. He tells me the interior is in rough shape but the body and paint is flawless.

I live about 850 miles away so I only have these three pictures that my sister took for me. I am sorry for the quality she obviously isn't into cars.

But after receiving these pictures I am left with many questions.

According to the vin the car was built in 1965 and is an Arctic white car. My uncle swears up and down the car was blue when he purchased it new from the dealer. This was also my uncles second Tiger and is registered as a 1967 Rootes Roadster.

Maybe some of you guys could shed some more light on all this as I am still learning about these makes.

Thanks,

Douglas Wilks

IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0656.jpg

IMAG0657.jpg

EDIT:

I have recieved some more pictures, and updated the thread in Post#13

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Year 1st registered

It was common back then for dealers to title cars in the year they were first sold. Since dealers would paint hard tops per customer request gotta think they'd do the whole car on request.

Most of us would drop whatever we were doing to rescue a car.

When you get to the car it will be easy to see what her OG color was. Look under dash straight up from your ankles when sitting in the car. Painters do not paint what they can't see and the whole dash section would have been masked.

Having rescued my car from 20 year slumber you are in for some fun...
Remove plugs and oil cylinders before attempting to move engine. They make some fogging oil for boats and outboards that makes it easier. Good Luck ans Welcome

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Interesting car!!! It appears to be the FIRST production MK1A built! Aug. 7 1965 IIRC

I got my last Tiger from Texas and there's no place for 'model' ... just 'make' ... and then they only allow 4 letters!! My Texas title read 'ROOT" '2D' lol

Jim
B382000446

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Not a Sunbeam color and you can see blue overspray on items in the engine compartment. Wish I was closer as I would love to help you wake it from its long slumber. Do not be quick to try to start it, will need lots of work before you turn the key for the first time.

Fuel and hydraulic systems will be clogged. Oil need to be drained and I would pour Marvin Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let soak for at least 24 hours before you attempt to hand crank the engine.

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
I have no intentions of trying to start this car as soon as I get it. I will take pictures, clean, and repeat. The engine will disassembled and sent to my machine shop for cleaning and freshening.

I noticed the 000001 on the vin, though that seemed pretty good ;)

Just spoke with my uncle again. Says right before putting it up in storage he had an edelbrock intake and holley carb installed. Something about a lak 1 package if I heard him correctly. He also said he had the car repainted, but swears it was blue prior to when he painted it.

Doug

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Hi Doug,

First let me add my welcome greeting as well.

If you are any sort of hands on car guy, this Tiger will be a great addition to your world and likely become a labor of love! First you will just want to get it on the road and running. Then most likely you will start thinking about enhancements! My 32 year old son has been the driving force behind a 347 motor build for my car...

But, first things first. To the excellent advice already posted, I would like to add a couple of other points. Since the cooling system has been sitting all these years, a good radiator flush would definitely be in order. Have a shop do it with the radiator out of the car. Even more important, when you put on fresh hoses, I recommend you immediately put a Gano filter, or similar device, in the upper radiator hose. These old Ford blocks produce rusty metal flakes in the cooling passages throughout their life. Having sat all these years, I can only imagine what the water passages look like. Without a filter to start catching all that stuff, your radiator likely will become quickly clogged. Once you get the car going, do a block cooling system flush and check the filter immediately afterwards and often thereafter. I predict you will be amazed at what you see.

Also, whatever you do as you get to the cosmetic cleanup, or even eventually go to a repaint, do not remove the vin plate. Those rivets holding it on are uber special and one of the keys to a real Tiger.

Also, it would be good to get in touch with Norm Miller and let him know about your car. I would describe him as one of the top senior statesmen for the Tiger Community. He wrote the Book of Norman in case you have not heard about it, and maintains a registry of current Tiger ownership, etc. His contact info is at http://www.rootes1.com/, along with a whole host of interesting reading.

Gene

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
cadreamn67 - I have restored other cars in the past and work in the motorsports industry now. I have no intentions of trying to start the current motor, it will be removed along with anything else that has held or transmitted a fluid in the past. Those items will be then inspected, cleaned and if in good working condition re installed.

Thanks for the advice about the Vin plate I was wondering if anyone made repo rivets but per your advice I will not be messing with them.

My father is going to look at the car tonight and take some more detailed pictures for me. I will post them up when I get them.

Thanks,

Doug

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What a nice car and the first MK1A to boot!
There are several long time owners in the Atlanta area that can give you some great advice. Also this October there will be two national Sunbeam club events in Tennessee so make sure you come see a nice variety of Sunbeams there. We have a really active group of Sunbeam owners here in the SE that go to many local shows too. Welcome! Eric

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great Car!

Congratulations on geting this fantastic car! In looking at the photos, the original air filter housing was not present. For your sake, please check with your uncle to see if he does still have it. While they do show up now and then, they are getting harder and harder (more $ and more $) to find. Same for the original tool kit. For that matter, anything that originally came with the car.

Good luck with your new project!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lot-O-fans

Doug: I think you can count on all of us to chime in and help. It's a worthy critter. We're a narcissistic bunch anyway. If you need photos or dimensions or components as they were used, we all have tons of historical info gathering dust. And plenty of opinions too . . . . . . .

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I will have more pictures to put up later tonight as my father just left his brother's (my uncle) house and said he took about 50 pictures of everything.

As of now I have decided the car will be returned to its original condition, paint color... etc

Can't wait !!!

Doug

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Doug,

It sounds like you have a great plan, skills, and resources to take on this Tiger.

I think most of us will follow your lead on where you want to go with questions, of course.

That said, I just wanted to be sure you know that there are some inherent suspension shortcomings that you will eventually want to address. Namely the front cross member needs strengthening and the rear spring front eyelet mounts need reinforcement. I am sure the folks in Atlanta can fill you in on a lot of the details as well as the people here on the forum. I just wanted to be sure the topics are on your radar as things to eventually address.

Standing by here!

Gene

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Doug,

It sounds like you have a great plan, skills, and resources to take on this Tiger.

I think most of us will follow your lead on where you want to go with questions, of course.

That said, I just wanted to be sure you know that there are some inherent suspension shortcomings that you will eventually want to address. Namely the front cross member needs strengthening and the rear spring front eyelet mounts need reinforcement. I am sure the folks in Atlanta can fill you in on a lot of the details as well as the people here on the forum. I just wanted to be sure the topics are on your radar as things to eventually address.

Standing by here!

Gene

I hear what your saying... but at the same time if I address these issues wont that have a direct effect on the originality of the car? I would hate to do something that would devalue the car.

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
More pictures.. and again my eye is not as trained on this car as some of you guys. So if you see something out of the ordinary, bad... whatever please let me know. I am here to learn. These pictures already put to rest the original color

120822TIGER007.jpg

120822TIGER008.jpg

120822TIGER009.jpg

120822TIGER010.jpg

120822TIGER011.jpg

120822TIGER012.jpg

120822TIGER014.jpg

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I hear what your saying... but at the same time if I address these issues wont that have a direct effect on the originality of the car? I would hate to do something that would devalue the car.

Well... I would say of all the possible mods you can do to the car... those ( cross member bracing & front mount on rear spring ) would be #1 & #2 of the things least likely to lower the value... In fact, they are considered a MUST DO to most...

Jim
B382000446

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OOPS!

Because of a lousy reflection from my office lighting, I thought that the first set of pix showed outside screw tail lights. The second set of pix made me see the light. Keep em' comin' amen

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Doug,

Awesome project you have there.. and great to see some younger members coming through, it's what will keep the marque going strong for years to come. Maybe we should start and under 40's register :D