New Member - Atlanta, Ga

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Progress !!

Was interesting trying to get the old mustang wheels to clear.. but in the end I was able to get her home.

First step now is to find a set of wheels that actually fit.. HA

Glad you made it; now get busy . . . . . .

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Glad you made it; now get busy . . . . . .

Will do.. whats a good number to contact you at? I see you have some things listed on Ebay. Would you make a whole package deal if I purchased all of it?

Update : Here are a few pictures I took of loading the tiger on the trailer. I also carefully removed some the paint off the vin tag with a non abrasive fiber composite scraper that I built its strong to keep its edge but wont scratch the metal. Is there a template I can use to re mark the black lettering?

IMG_20120909_112901.jpg

IMG_20120909_112918.jpg

IMG_20120909_114910.jpg

IMG_20120910_172301.jpg

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Can one of the moderators change the title to my thread. To something along the lines as "My MK1a Build-Atlanta, Ga- "

Thanks,

Doug

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Is there a template I can use to re mark the black lettering?

A word of caution regarding the Vin plate....Do as little as possible to it and I would NOT attempt to reletter it. DO NOT REMOVE it for any reason or mess
with the rivets. You can tape over the plate when you repaint the car and you can remove the JAL plate just don't loose the screws and you can remove
the service plate and replace it with a reproduction. I can post a picture of my Tiger's vin plate that survived a years restoration if you like.

Let the fun begin and the money flow............

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Lettering

The original lettering is silk screened. There is a rub on static cling Letraset method that other Tiger owners have used. Paul Bruehan a artsy type in the Midwest sells them.

People make a huge deal out of original rivets as aside from being TAC'ed is a easier but not conclusive test of originality.

Personally I have seen blank vin plates with silk screened letters offered for sale by some of the oldest members of this group, add to that their admission they have original rivets in their cache of unobtainium hoarded parts. Project cars have been listed for sale on this forum with detached vin plates. What makes a Tiger is a lot of things, try not to disturb them.

As you get into it you will hear stories of how guys grind off the stick welds or other Tiger build specifics then say DOHHHHHH later.

Every other Chevy Ford or other mass produced vehicle has a reproduction or restoration plate available and they claim they do not create a plate that changes the data.

Moondoggie is right do not remove the plate and it is a personal call to wipe away the rest of your silk screened letters and put on the Lettraset ones. I have had big guys in the group tell me they plan to remove and replace theirs for painting, but that said their car has been TAC'ed the certificate has a circled Y or N for car has original rivets.

Things are original once and restored repeatedly.

W. TAC# 821

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
DITTO VIN PLATE DITTO !!

Put some US issue gorilla tape (carefully trimmed) on that Vin Tag and leave it old, ugly & wounded. The JAL tag also had rust under it because they originally painted over it, but that has never been a serious subject. Once you have some airborn underneath exam pics, there may also be things you want to restore around but not disturb (depending upon condition). You asked for my cell number and I will respond to your e-mail. Like us all, glad to help at keeping em' runnin', randy < willett581@msn.com >

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
A picture is worth a thousand words so here is my vin plate. The JAL plate was removed for paint and the service plate is a new reproduction and the VIN
plate has gone through three paint jobs and has never been removed. The rivets holding the service plate are nos originals and you can still clearly see
the difference 47 years makes. My Tiger was restored by Bill Martin @ Rootes Group Depot who is also a TAC inspector and Norm Miller has seen the car up close and personal and has issued a build certificate # 0186 and it is also TAC # 0023.........You can never be too careful.....You might want to get the car TAC'd before you start taking it apart

Moondoggie

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
A picture is worth a thousand words so here is my vin plate. The JAL plate was removed for paint and the service plate is a new reproduction and the VIN
plate has gone through three paint jobs and has never been removed. The rivets holding the service plate are nos originals and you can still clearly see
the difference 47 years makes. My Tiger was restored by Bill Martin @ Rootes Group Depot who is also a TAC inspector and Norm Miller has seen the car up close and personal and has issued a build certificate # 0186 and it is also TAC # 0023.........You can never be too careful.....You might want to get the car TAC'd before you start taking it apart

Moondoggie

How would I get the car TAC'd?

Warren

Gold forum user
Letters

This is a photo of what I was talking about. Nothing here that cannot be taken off with a little lacquer thinner. It took me two tries to get it right this pic is of my leftovers. The letters are rubbed on then clear coated. The product has been around for years and hold up well what goes bad first is the clear coat will yellow.

This vin topic has been beaten to death on every Tiger site and makes interesting reading back decades to the e mail archives if you get really bored.

To get back OT everyone likes to see hunks of original horse hair and jute padding and tar paper on a un restored car as well as the original color hiding up under dash behind gas tanks and other hiding places, so post us some pics .

As for the TAC since it is not running go thru the inspector list and see you is closest and offer up a brew and a tour de garage, it worked for me. We have had guys come to a fix in in Anaheim "near Disneyland" then have to head to the beach to meet up with a second or third inspector. One stop shopping is the way to go and worth the 50 bucks it now costs and a really good idea to drag it to the meet as suggested by MD

Lots of sage advice in your thread

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
I haven't had much time to work on her, so I really do not have much to update on. Maybe in a few weeks I will have more.

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
I take that back.... I did get the engine fired up along with all gauges, lights, wipers, blower motor etc working. She now purrs like a kitten and runs butter smooth. Just need to work on the brakes, driveline, and suspension next.

Once she is running and driving around on her own power I plan to pull her back down to just the body and give her a good cleaning and painting back to original color.

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Is there an online store that carries or stocks Tiger parts? I am looking for all the hydrolic pieces for the brakes and clutch. Also looking for steering rack boots or a complete rack.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is there an online store that carries or stocks Tiger parts? I am looking for all the hydrolic pieces for the brakes and clutch. Also looking for steering rack boots or a complete rack.

USA
Sunbeam Specialties
Classic Sunbeam
Victoria British

UK
Speedy Spares
Sunbeam Spares Co
Alpines West Midlands

Other:
Rootes spares NL

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Ordered all my rebuild kits today along with a few other pieces to complete the brake system and few things needed to get her mobile. I figure rebuilding the OE parts will be better as I can keep it more original. I already have the pieces pulled off broken down and cleaned so it shouldn't be too long once it all gets here. Hopefully I can get her back together this sunday and maybe even running under her own power :D

Getting excited as my goal all along has been to get her running and driving, then break it all down to just the body and do a proper resto.

Until then here is a little clip I made the other day. The tach is not accurate to say the least, and the non-factory coolant temp gauge drives me nuts. But she starts and runs amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-70YN80P_0o&feature=youtu.be