New Member - Atlanta, Ga

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Fwiw, the car was just lightly dusted off but not cleaned so some of the pictures are very hard to tell whats going on.

120822TIGER020.jpg

120822TIGER021.jpg

120822TIGER022.jpg

120822TIGER026.jpg

120822TIGER030.jpg

120822TIGER023.jpg

120822TIGER024.jpg

varodder

Bronze forum user
Nice Project!

Hi Doug,
Looks like we will be travelling down the same path to get our Tigers back on the road!:D I look forward to following your progress as I work on mine, Too bad we live so far apart.
Colin

I'm very interested in how to reinforce the front cross member and rear spring areas. I noticed the front cross member moving a little bit when I jacked the front end up!:eek: If anyone could expand on this either in Doug's thread or mine I would greatly appreciate it.

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Thanks for moving this thread to the correct forum. I was just about to ask for it to be done.

On a different note, here are a couple pictures of some fabrication stuff and 240z we built for a customer. The 240z has full adj billet suspension setup, willwoods, cage, imsa widebody the works.. oh and a 600whp drysump'd LS7.

I have grown up around cars my entire life and can remember pushing the brake pedal when I was 6 on my father MG sprite so I can't wait to dig into this project.

266060_10151704525315400_2076420889_o.jpg

One lap of America winning car that I have co-driven for the overall win in the last two years. I built it, tuned, designed the aero and drove it. Prior to this car I built a 996 GT2 that we won in.
465797_349297461792542_255017751220514_846190_1088664329_o.jpg

278130_10151716455915400_955522937_o.jpg

411492_10151092578423480_1292012119_o.jpg

202605_10151092339193480_1191025168_o.jpg

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Last pics... for today.

Oh and can a moderator change my title? I tried but it only changes the title in my OP.

Thanks,

120822TIGER037.jpg

120822TIGER041.jpg

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Doug

Great car. Definitely visit Norm Miller's Website (www.rootes1.com) and update the info on this car in the Registry.

I can not say enough about the people on this forum. They are a friendly, knowledgeable bunch who have gone out of their way to help me wade through many issues.

Also loved the photo of the 240Z...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
As of now I have decided the car will be returned to its original condition, paint color... etc

/QUOTE]

Doug, since you invited us to comment on anything that did not look right, FWIW, I did notice that the temp gauge is not an OEM gauge.

Also just thought I would mention what some of the unused holes are in the dash, in case you did not know. The chrome button one by the glove cubby box is for a cigarette lighter. The little black button one between the two toggle switches is for the Alpine carb choke and consequently not used. The big round plugged hole in the middle of the dash is for a clock. The gauge sized plug on the far left is for an ammeter. Usually a Lucas gauge installed by a dealer (at least mine was). That little chrome button blank to the left and up from the tach is, I understand, where an Alpine indicator light for the electric overdrive being engaged would go. Consequently not used for anything on the Tiger. Nothing wrong with leaving these blanks unused from an originality point, but if you wanted to add things, that could have been original, that is where they would go.

BTW, it is "correct" that the Blower switch has that label tag on it. The other switches for the wiper, panel and headlights had their labels silk screened onto the wooden dash. Just one of the oddities you are going to run into. Another would be that the bezel on a "correct" clock is different from all the other gauges! Those clocks, btw, seem to be the finishing touch many people put on their restorations, usually do not work without an electronic rebuild, and easily can go for $400 in none working condition. Oh well....!

Hope some of that is of interest, even at this early stage of your project.

Gene

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
So what are some good places to start looking for all the little trim pieces and interior pieces I need? Is there still any OE inventory left? or will I be forced to make the never ending internet search for good old stock pieces off other cars.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sunbeam Specialties and Classic Sunbeam make a lot of repro parts for the alpines/tigers so they are a good starting point.

There are a few other suppliers world wide UK/Netherlands that do rpero parts for the cars. Then there is the board.. lots of members on here can dig things up if you ask.. then there is always ebay.

Just make sure you know what you want and are looking at, ask questions and get somethign liek the brooklands road test books.. the photos of the cars when new are always a good guide.

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
I am headed to pick the tiger up this weekend. However I need to purchase a set of wheels and tires for it. Any suggestions or advice on where to buy and sizes?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rolling Along

I am headed to pick the tiger up this weekend. However I need to purchase a set of wheels and tires for it. Any suggestions or advice on where to buy and sizes?

Assuming that you just want to get it rolling and mobile; for the time being, find the least expensive rubber that will hold air. As for the wheels, 13" 4 lug X 4-1/4" are not a common critter anymore. Old Pinto steels from the recycle yards, etc. If you are planning ahead for post-restoration, then Rick at Sunbeam Specialties has fine LAT re-pros in a couple of sizes. OR, I'm sure the group can chime in with their preferred selections and sources.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Hi Doug,

How are you planning on towing car back? Auto transporter, dolly, all 4 wheels on the ground, etc?

I only ask because a lot of people do not realize how narrow a wheel track the Tiger has, especially in back. A lot of modern equipment is made for much wider cars and have a big open space in the middle. Depending on the equipment the Tiger quite likely will not reach from one side to the other with all 4 wheels fully on the ramps and carrier sides. Also because it is so low in the front, there are some tricks that have to be used to get it on the typical transporter. Please ask if any of this is relevant and you need more details.

Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In traveling

Hi Again Doug: There is a set of wheels and tyres YOU MAY BORROW for transport just up the street from you in White, GA. If this helps, PM me or e-mail < willett581@msn.com > and I will hand over contact info and introductions, etc. glad to assist, rw

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Fox body Mustang (79-93) wheels will work too, same bolt pattern. With the pitting in the chrome looks like it was near moisture, but a very complete car----good luck with it.

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Hey guys... thank you all for the responses. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here but I have been out of town. I have a friend that had an old set of mustang 4 lug wheel laying around. He has given them to me to use until I can find the correct replacements.

I will be picking the car up this weekend, using my small enclosed truck and trailer.

Doug

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Heads up about the Mustang Wheels

Doug,

As I am understanding it you are just using those wheels for rollers, so they can probably be made to work for your purposes. However, you might want to be ready to deal with some potential clearance problems on the front.

Just so you know, I use a set of the 15 inch diameter, 7 inch rim "hurricane" style wheels for my autocross tires and have to use 3 mm spacers on the front. The inner edge of the rim is very close to the outer end of my upper control arm, requiring the spacer for clearance. For roller purposes, you could probably get by with a stack of washers on the lugs if you cannot get some spacers in time.

Also, my 205/15 tires on the front hung up on the lip of the lower edge of the front wheel well when wheels were turned past a certain point. So I trimmed the lower edge of the front valence back the small amount necessary. You probably will not want to do that, but just be prepared for it happening as you are moving the car around. Especially since the turning circle is pretty big as it is even when you can turn the steering to full lock.

Hope all goes well for you on the trip. Be safe.:)

Gene

Tiger001

Bronze forum user
Was interesting trying to get the old mustang wheels to clear.. but in the end I was able to get her home.

First step now is to find a set of wheels that actually fit.. HA